What's new

Putting a stereo on a boat? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Wasn't sure where else to post this so I put it here :)
My cousin just bought himself a boat, it's a 20' fishing boat with a nice but tiny cabin below, and as we share a shore house with the whole family, we'll all pretty much be sharing the boat. We were thinking it'd be great if we could get a nice radio with a CD player and all in it for when we're out fishing for a long time. I don't want to just get a "boom box", we think it would be better to have some kind of semi-perminant setup. So, would something like a car stereo work better? What about installing speakers? Is there anything that's waterproof? Where should we look for a decent sound system for a boat? This isn't a huge boat where you drive it on the roof, it's more of a good-sized fishing boat that seats about 6 comfortably. Anyone have any advice?

ChuckSn

Grip
Look for one with a remote control. There is nothing more annoying then running back and forth from the cuddy to adjust the volume. I can't help with the other suggestions, ours came installed. I think JVC and Pioneer make marine models.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
What ever you do do not go to a boat dealer to buy the stereo they will ^$%^$^ you OVER. If its for a boat you don't have to go nuts. I think Alpine makes a pretty good deck and maybe a set of Boston acoustic or Niles out door all weather speakers That way you don't have to cut holes for the speakers

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I was thinking of having it installed where the steering wheel is, on top of the "dashboard" spot with the other little gadgets that are up there. I heard there's some kind of waterproof box that you can install a normal car stereo into so you can have it on a boat, anyone know if those are any good? Or would I be better off with a marine radio? Also what about the battery? I don't know much about boats yet, but my cousin does.. he was saying he has to keep everything turned off except the CB radio to save the battery and stuff. Would installing a stereo mess that up? I guess boats don't have alternators like a car? :)
And yeah I was thinking about going with regular outdoor speakers instead of cutting holes and installing something special. There's plenty of room on the dashboard for a radio and 2 speakers mounted on the side, but we'll see after he gets his new depht finder thingy installed, the one he has now is old and kinda sucky.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
Look at the Poly Planar Marine radio. Completely waterproof. A normal car stereo will start to corrode after about 6 months. Poly Planar also makes great speakers that have an infared sensor in them for use with the stereo remote. That way even if you are out of the boat you can control the volume, track etc.

Engines do have alternators and keep the battery charged while running. You would be surprised how much stuff you can have turned on at one time without running down the battery. We constantly run our GPS, Fish Finder, VHF, livewell and a 12v acc. like a cell phone all day with no problems. The VHF takes the most juice when transmitting, but if you don't talk a lot you shouldn't have a problem.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I don't know much about boats but I've heard of people installing car stereos in them so I would guess that most boats use a 12 volt system, or at least have 12 volts available for a stereo. Of course fancier boats will probably have 120 volts AC available, so you could plug in just about anything. :)
A regular car stereo should work as long as it isn't likely to get wet. Salt water can lead to corrosion, so if you use your boat on the ocean you might be better off with a marine grade radio/stereo, or a boom box that you can replace cheaply when it dies.
I don't know much about boats yet, but my cousin does.. he was saying he has to keep everything turned off except the CB radio to save the battery and stuff.
Most, if not all boats, with batteries will generate power when the engine is running, just like a car. He was probably referring to when he has the engine off, say while fishing or just relaxing in the middle of the lake, he doesn't want to kill his battery.
KJP

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Do NOT get a regular stereo for a boat. Spend the extra and get the gear designed to exist in a boat/water. Alpine makes good stuff, and there are others. I agree with the other poster, get at least one other remote unit with it, on the ski boat we use there is a control by the ski deck, making it nice if you are all out swimming and want to control the volume without getting out of the water...

KyleS

Screenwriter
Almost any good reputable car stereo installer will also do installations on boats. I have a friend that owns a car stereo installation company and he does a Ton of work on boats. Heck he almost makes more money doing boats then cars. They do make special Decks, speakers, and even cabling for use on boats. If you will be in fresh water all the time you can save some money on lower end equipment but if you will be in saltwater make sure that you dont go cheap and get the good, completely sealed units.

KyleS

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Yes it will primarily be in salt water, the ocean off Atlantic City NJ to be exact :) I guess we'll head to a couple car stereo places and see what they have to offer :) Anyone know if there's any MP3 playing boat stereos available? I have one in my car and I love it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks