What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Muhammad Ali – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My initial experience to Cassius Clay was listening to his encounter with Sonny Liston on radio in February of 1964 in my college dorm.

Never a fan of boxing, I, however, immediately became one of Mr. Clay, and followed his career.

About twenty years later, I began seeing Muhammad Ali at the hotel where I stayed in Los Angeles. He was quieter and more introspective in person than during his publicity tours.

While I would occasionally introduce myself to people in my industry who were at the hotel - a tiny, boutiquey place - I didn't want to bother Mr. Ali.

Until one dark and stormy morning, when the sky rained locusts and bats, and those in the know were aware that the best way to get our cars was to go downstairs to the garage for delivery as opposed to waiting out front.

On that particular morning, it was just a few of us - Mr. Ali had someone with him - and I could sense his mind working as he looked over as I got off the elevator...

"Isn't he that film archivist," I presumed him to be thinking.

Regardless, I made the first move, and he appeared unafraid. After introducing myself, we got to chat for probably five minutes until his car arrived. We got past the fact that I'd been a long time fan, and he asked what I did. I explained. He asked a few questions.

He suggested that I stick with it, and not get into professional boxing - he was the second boxer to give me that advice - and I took it to heart.

As the time came for him to leave, he put out his hand to shake mine, and for the second time in my life - the other was Mr. Wayne - I felt as though I had placed my hand into a gentle, warm mailbox of sorts. He was decidedly larger than I.

Seeing PBS' new documentary by Ken Burns & Co. brought back wonderful memories, gave me new insights, and an even greater respect for Mr. Ali, and the ways in which he made the world a better place.

At 450 minutes, it's one of the finest modern multi-episode documentaries I've seen in aeons - beautifully crafted and brilliantly written.

If during the final half hour, it doesn't leave a tear in one's eye, you're not human.

Just a magnificent work, as justified by its subject, and at sixty bucks or thereabouts, a worthy addition to any serious library.

Image – N/A

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks