What's new

PS4 owners thread (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
Like those USB cord managers, Dave. They are really cheap, too.
I've got one in the bedroom for iPad and kindle cords and like it. You can also get it at Amazon; it's more expensive but has free shipping.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up, if you can't connect to the PSN through your console to buy a game or redeem a code, you can do it through the Sony webpage. I believe it is store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com or something like that. You can also set it so your PS4 will start to download a game when it can.The PS4 does indeed download things while in rest mode. Also, the controller light can be dimmed but not shut off. It serves as the only indicator that the controller is on and was created primarily for the camera and eventually some VR stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
Just a heads up, if you can't connect to the PSN through your console to buy a game or redeem a code, you can do it through the Sony webpage. I believe it is store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com or something like that. You can also set it so your PS4 will start to download a game when it can.
Sony's site has been down all weekend, with erratic partial functionality. I've been unable to connect to "secure.us.playstation.com" and redeem my free game code. Nor can I activate the PSN online service for online gaming and free games.
Morgan Jolley said:
The PS4 does indeed download things while in rest mode. Also, the controller light can be dimmed but not shut off. It serves as the only indicator that the controller is on and was created primarily for the camera and eventually some VR stuff.
I remain impressed at how badly Sony designs controllers. Who locates the power indicator light so it can't be seen by the user? Or implements non-deflatable feature for a $100 device that no one buys? Crazy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
Just a heads up, if you can't connect to the PSN through your console to buy a game or redeem a code, you can do it through the Sony webpage. I believe it is store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com or something like that. You can also set it so your PS4 will start to download a game when it can.
Ok, so I'm confused by Sony's websites. I don't know which one(s) do what for PS4 features.

I've been beating my head against a wall trying to login to: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/
I got in long enough to set up my account. And then I was able to get Last of Us via the PS4.
But the link to redeem the free one-of-four game can't be done through normal redemption channels nor on the PS4, and it has been dead all weekend: http://redeem.us.playstation.com/
I've been lost as to how to active the online service. The PS4 touts it, but doesn't give any way to activate it.

This website is new to me: store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com
But it seems to be the path to turn on the online service.

I never used Xbox Gold, so maybe it's just as terrible. But I'm baffled and frustrated by Sony's non-working, multi-sited online service. Maybe they're not equipped for holiday sales. Or maybe there was a DOS attack far beyond the means of a consumer electronics company to overcome. I hope it's fixed before I'm back to work next week and again short on gaming time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Ok, so I'm confused by Sony's websites. I don't know which one(s) do what for PS4 features.I've been beating my head against a wall trying to login to: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/I got in long enough to set up my account. And then I was able to get Last of Us via the PS4.But the link to redeem the free one-of-four game can't be done through normal redemption channels nor on the PS4, and it has been dead all weekend: http://redeem.us.playstation.com/I've been lost as to how to active the online service. The PS4 touts it, but doesn't give any way to activate it.This website is new to me: store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.comBut it seems to be the path to turn on the online service.I never used Xbox Gold, so maybe it's just as terrible. But I'm baffled and frustrated by Sony's non-working, multi-sited online service. Maybe they're not equipped for holiday sales. Or maybe there was a DOS attack far beyond the means of a consumer electronics company to overcome. I hope it's fixed before I'm back to work next week and again short on gaming time.
I hope so too. But a couple years ago the PS3 suffered from hacker attacks that immobilized the network for almost a month.I'm so pissed that my entire vacation from work with all this free time and not being able to play.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I emailed my buddy to ask if he's got Destiny working. And to broach the topic of whether there's another system they might rather use for online gaming...

If I had bought the PS4 for solo gaming, I'd return it and demand a refund. I'm fed up. But I bought it especially for the social aspect. Which is currently DOA. But if it's working next week, and my friends are gaming on it, it would be foolish and shortsighted for me to return it prematurely.

And Sony's support forums (up now, a good sign) have a 100-page thread on the pick-one system's failure.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/PS4-Four-Games-One-Pick-FAQ/m-p/44841732/highlight/false#M108561

I've also sent two tweets to Sony's AskPS Twitter account asking when I'll get the game Sony sold me. Or if they'll credit me a disc version. No response.

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]If threre are people like me that still cant log into the PS4. Sony [via [/color]Twitter] suggests a system reboot.

Ron, This one is for you [and/or anyone else that cant find it]. This is the PSN link to a game called " PT" ** :

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/pt/cid=UP4511-CUSA01127_00-PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTT?smcid=ps:show-now:visit-playstation-store:ps-playstation-store

** Not for people with heart conditions

#####
BTW, Ron. Here is how u change your Profile image on the PS4 [if linking with your facebook]:
1. Go to the PS4 Settings Screen
Once you’ve logged into your PS4’s primary account, push up on the d-pad to access the top layer of menu options. Scroll all the way to the right until you find a toolbox labelled ‘Settings’, and tap the X button.
2. Select PSN
In the menu, scroll down to the option labelled ‘PSN’ using the d-pad and select it with the X button.
3. Select Account Information
In the PSN area, scroll down to the option labelled ‘Account Information’ using the d-pad and select it with the X button.
4. Select Profile
Once you’re into the ‘Account Information’ screen, scroll down to ‘Profile’ with the d-pad and select it with the X button.
5. Change Your Profile Picture
Once you’re in the ‘Profile’ area, scroll down to ‘Profile Picture’ with the d-pad and select it with the X button. If your Facebook account is successfully linked, this will bring up an image of your current Facebook profile icon. To enable this, tick the box labelled ‘Use My Facebook Profile Picture’ with the X button and select ‘Confirm’. You can disable the image by reversing the above steps.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 1/4 redemption site is back up! I'm getting Destiny!

Nope.

I redeemed my code and it returned UNDEFINED, and populated the download code with garbage. So still can't download Destiny. Further enhancing the experience, customer service website is offline. Splendid.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Still down!? I was playing Destiny yesterday. I thought it was awesome so far. Lots of things to shoot!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ShoutingManPhDI've got Last of Us, and the free games for December. Hope to be online with Destiny this coming weekend...Sony allowing.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It should be mentioned that Sony is having issues because of a-holes, not because their service sucks. If you had tried to do all of this stuff a week ago, it would have gone smoothly. While I understand that people are upset with them, let's keep it all in context.Regarding the PS4 controller, the lightbar isn't really the power indicator. Again, the purpose of it being there is mostly because of integration with the camera. Additionally, it doesn't really get in the way of normal gameplay but can be used as an accent to things. For example, a game may change the lightbar color when you're shooting a gun, using various powers, or to reflect the amount of health the player has. The sole negative to it, for me, is that it lowers the controller battery life. Even then, I have two controllers and one is always plugged in to charge, so it's not really a problem.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
It should be mentioned that Sony is having issues because of a-holes, not because their service sucks. If you had tried to do all of this stuff a week ago, it would have gone smoothly. While I understand that people are upset with them, let's keep it all in context.
I'd be more sympathetic if they'd communicated the status rather than trying to cover it up. As of Friday, every website was reporting Sony's status that their networks were up. Except, the system was down for three more days. Sony's communications were consistently wrong and misleading.

Morgan Jolley said:
Regarding the PS4 controller, the lightbar isn't really the power indicator. Again, the purpose of it being there is mostly because of integration with the camera. Additionally, it doesn't really get in the way of normal gameplay but can be used as an accent to things. For example, a game may change the lightbar color when you're shooting a gun, using various powers, or to reflect the amount of health the player has. The sole negative to it, for me, is that it lowers the controller battery life. Even then, I have two controllers and one is always plugged in to charge, so it's not really a problem.
That is a set of odd design choices: Game status indicator that can't be seen by the player. Interaction with a camera that no one owns (didn't they learn anything from MS Kinect?) And given the short battery life of the controller, it's a no-brainer to turn the light off except when it's necessary.

Imagine if MS had a similar feature and their PR response was: "We've got a battery replacement option for you: Buy a second controller." The gaming press would have been all over them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I nabbed a cheap destiny code off ebay, will try to be on this weekend and get up to 8-10 to help you guys who are just starting out if you are interested.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DaveF - I see your point about the light bar on the controller, but I still see it as an overall net positive and a neat design choice. The sole hindrance to me is the battery thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was online last night with friends playing Destiny. (Well, they were playing. I was waiting for 17GB data to download. Good to go next time) First time using the earbud mic. What are options for better mic system?I'd love to have an ambient mic, with speech coming through my main speakers. It sounded great with friends voices coming through my SVS center speaker, but when I plug in the mic to talk, just the tinny earbud.I think what I want is impossible...so what do folks recommend?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I believe the PS4 camera may offer this. The camera has a mic built-in and it pumps chat audio through your speakers. Another option is the Silver or Gold headset. The Gold have an embedded mic but the Silver has a boom mic.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
Back home from Christmas travels. Setting up my PS4; my first ever Sony console. The Sony network crashed as I submitted my ID registration and credit card info. I have no physical games; only download credits for the Sony online store.

New PS4. Can't do a thing with it.

Awesome.

Guess I'll play my Xbox 360.
Games on disc FTW! :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aaron Silverman said:
Games on disc FTW! :P
For good or bad, I saw no bundles with physical discs. Rather $400, it would have been $490 to get the same kit with discs. Had I known the holiday woes awaiting, would I have bought something different? I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks