What's new

Adding external hard drive to PS4? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife has a PS4 that is running low on internal storage. She'd like to add an external hard drive to increase capacity. She asked me since I know a little about hard drives, but as someone who barely knows how to turn the PS4 on, I thought I should check with you fine folks first.

Can we use any of those USB 3.0 type external drives? Was thinking of one of those 1 or 2tb portable drives from Western Digital like this one as they've worked well for me with our macs:

Or does it need to be a powered drive with its own power cord and brick? Hoping to avoid that route if possible, but I can free up an outlet on the power strip if necessary.

Thanks!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I believe you do not need an externally-powered drive. I'd recommend getting one and trying it out, just return it if it doesn't work.

You can also upgrade the internal HDD by swapping it out for a bigger one. Sony has this process detailed through the PlayStation website and you can easily find videos about it.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Can we use any of those USB 3.0 type external drives? Was thinking of one of those 1 or 2tb portable drives from Western Digital like this one as they've worked well for me with our macs:

Or does it need to be a powered drive with its own power cord and brick? Hoping to avoid that route if possible, but I can free up an outlet on the power strip if necessary.

As Morgan wrote above, you don't need to buy a drive with a separate power cord and brick. I used Seagate's "Backup Plus" portable drive with my PS4 for years without issues. You just plug it into the PS4, no separate power source needed. The WD 1 TB you listed should work too, but I haven't tried that model myself.

CinemaHouse86

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff House
That WD External Hard Drive you linked should work just fine. Just plug it in, and once the PS4 formats it, you should be good to go.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I used a 2tb Western Digital passport I think for my PS4. When I got a PS5 I was able to unmount it and plug it right in, continuing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on the PS5 right where I left off with my cloud save. EZPZ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks