What's new

PS4 Pro Owners Thread (was PS4-NEO) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Apparently there has been some leaked information about the PS4 Neo
http://vgleaks.com/internal-documents-ps4-neo-leaked/
For those of you interested.
neo_leak_1.jpg

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It looks like its a half step between what the Xbox One S is trying to be (basically an Xbox One with UHD support and nothing else added) and what Scorpio is promising to be (full-on 4K gaming machine). I'm not sure about the technical specs but it looks like the Neo, compared to Scorpio, would be like an inversion of the current PS4/Xbox One power difference. Except the Neo is out a year earlier.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
At this point, I think they're trying to delay every doing a "PS5." A few years ago, the end goal was streaming solutions where you buy one cheap device and a service to play games through the internet. Now, it's become half-steps every couple years. You can buy a PS4, skip Neo, then buy the next device (Neo2?), then skip the following device, etc. the same way people tend to buy phones and tablets currently. It just becomes a question of how they treat backward compatibility. They'll probably end up kind of in a "living room PC" sort of system where the hardware gets better but its the same companies making the chips, so everything old will still run.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
At this point, I think they're trying to delay every doing a "PS5." A few years ago, the end goal was streaming solutions where you buy one cheap device and a service to play games through the internet. Now, it's become half-steps every couple years. You can buy a PS4, skip Neo, then buy the next device (Neo2?), then skip the following device, etc. the same way people tend to buy phones and tablets currently. It just becomes a question of how they treat backward compatibility. They'll probably end up kind of in a "living room PC" sort of system where the hardware gets better but its the same companies making the chips, so everything old will still run.

You could be right. Based on the rate I play games, the PS4 will do me until they come out with a PS6 or whatever ends up happening. I think eventually they will treat PSN like Steam. That said, if they don't increase backward compatibility I'll happily move over to a steam box of some sort where my game collection doesn't become unplayable when I upgrade my hardware. I can live without the exclusives.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I'm much like that too. In fact I just got a "new" (to me) PS3 today because I'm trying to help prevent my "significant" bunch of PS3 games (most of which I haven't played yet...) from becoming useless. The cost of a console, whatever it is, pales next to the game value, just like for BDs/DVDs and their players.

Also similar to my moves with movies, I find myself less enamored with current product and am re-discovering older stuff in games. I haven't bought a PS4 game for quite a while, yet I buy a PS3 game at least once a month still, often because of something somebody says here...not because of the PS4, but more because of the games for the PS4. Like movies, you really see the "me too"-ism in the game industry: if a game was successful, let's all do the concept to death and kill it for half a generation. Upgrading the console doesn't upgrade the game...

Same half-assery in new consoles it seems at the moment. I'm a "hardware guy", and I cringe at some of the obvious shortcomings in some new/announced HW, because it's so obvious they'll use current/available (not even that new) technology in the next model, to get an extra round of cash out of the half-step instead of really moving ahead.

It's quite different though if you're just moving to a "next-generation" PS or X system now, obviously good to get the newest version unless you want to maybe save a few bucks; I see regular PS4s are down to the same price now as they were almost a year ago when I got mine, they had jumped up for a while here, so not really a "deal" as such. (If you really want a "shock", check out the price of a new PS3 in Canada. I have stories about used ones...)

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Lol no UHD playback
No shocker no DV support tho

I recommend all pass but the most hardcore who already have 4K HDR sets. I'm getting one tho

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So it will stream 4K but not play back 4K discs... if that doesn't say a lot about the state of physical media in 2016...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Considering Sony is one of the biggest supporters of UHD-Blu-Ray, this is sort of cryptic. R.I.P UHD BD (2018):unsure:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Sony hasn't really supported this new format. Other then a few discs early what else have they done. No stand alone player, streaming devices released. This is exactly what I expected from Sony. They have lost touch.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
They have released UHD BD's, and continue to do so. I realize there is no dedicated UHD player from Sony, but the news of no UHD BD playback on their new system is downright infuriating.
They are a known leader, and recognized brand regarding home video hardware and have been since the infancy of the concept.
The adoption rate of UHD BD would skyrocket if available on the new Sony Pro, at the same time increasing sales of UHD BD movies immensely in my opinion.

Instead they continue their "pay to play" model of limited use with no ownership rights AKA: STREAMING!
Yes they are out of touch, and their crusade to slowly kill physical media continues.
I fully expected UHD BD to take off considering the 4K tv market has been wildly aggresive in overtaking 1080 HD sets. but with shit like this happening it is a major, major setback for the format.
I'm pissed at their decision for a lot of reasons but mainly because I am currently buying into the format and spending thousands of dollars.
Words fail me at this decision of theirs. I'm very upset. Very angry.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Stream movies through PS video so no matter which studio it is (WB, Universal etc.) Sony will get their cut. and in 10 years when PS Video service is no longer available---"hey where'd all the movies I bought go?" The fatal flaw of streaming hidden in the illusion of ownership.
Tell me again why physical media is a bad choice?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
At least there's not much in the way of 4k classics appearing on UHD BD. So I'll be okay as long as someone like Sony doesn't open the vaults and suddenly start releasing scores of Cary Grant classics and such on the format. :)

Are you a multiplatform fan, Bryan? There's always the new Xbox models with support for the format if you are. Getting tougher these days to justify that when the amount of exclusives on the Xbox and Playstation are minimal, but I still intend to get both one of these days.

Not done with my Wii U yet, which works out well since I can see where things will settle out here with these mid-generation upgrades before I make the jump.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering I personally own only a handful of blurays as it is and have zero interest in buying 99% of movies out there, the lack of UHD support is fine for me. It is a bit weird that they don't have it, but I would buy a PS4 Pro in order to play games on it more than anything else. And as a game machine, it looks pretty great.

So now gaming is in a weird place. You've got the Xbox One, One S, PS4 (now the Slim), and PS4 Pro. The only non-cosmetic difference between the One and One S is UHD video (no real change to games). The PS4 Pro does 4K HDR gaming at the exact same price as the One S. Microsoft has the Scorpio coming next year, which will be more powerful than the PS4 Pro but, realistically, I don't think it will matter that much because of how the game industry works (lowest common denominator will drive game quality, so I doubt we'll see drastically better looking games on Scorpio compared to what we'll see on Pro). It's also hard for MS to argue that they have the better hardware when the One S is effectively DOA since the PS4 Pro is more powerful at the exact same price (minus UHD playback) and Scorpio is going to make it obsolete in a year.

I'm debating if I want to get a Pro, mainly because I don't have (or plan on purchasing soon) a 4K TV. My dream is to buy one of the LG OLED sets but I don't have $3k sitting around for that, and a $400 gaming console is not going to be the thing that pushes me over the edge. But Sony talked about how the Pro still shows immense benefits for 1080p sets so we'll see what happens once they're released.

One thing nobody has mentioned is that a firmware update is going out to add HDR functionality to all PS4s very soon. This is something MS claims they can't do on the Xbox One but Sony hasn't stated how exactly they're adding it. It's just weird that, minus UHD disc playback, the 3 year old PS4 base model is still going to come out on top of the brand new One S.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Not including UHD Blu-ray support was a gut punch for me. Means i'll be going Microsoft now. I don't want to have that many devices on my rack. Scorpio may force Sony's hand though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Quick question for you Dave - do you play a lot of games, and if so what franchises do you care most about? Are you looking at a PS4 or Xbox One as a gaming device, cheap(ish) UHD player, or all-in-one multimedia device?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not surprised by the no UHD thing either. See all my previous posts on how shit the PS4 is as a media player compared to the PS3. They've taken the center of many a home theater and cut it's nuts off.

I have zero interest in this updated PS4, and it's shit enough that I'll probably skip Sony in the future and build a home theater PC. I like the idea of buying a game and being able to play it when I upgrade my system, as opposed to how Sony sells titles in the PSN.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm a bit confused about their patch adding HDR to existing non-pro PS4s.

Assuming I'm playing a vanilla PS4 on a 1080p screen, what exactly would use HDR, and what benefit would it have for me?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm a bit confused about their patch adding HDR to existing non-pro PS4s.

Assuming I'm playing a vanilla PS4 on a 1080p screen, what exactly would use HDR, and what benefit would it have for me?
Sounds like things might be a little prettier, but not as pretty if you have a PS-Pro. That's about it. As far as I can tell, that's all there is to the PS-Pro period. Things be prettier.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Sounds like things might be a little prettier, but not as pretty if you have a PS-Pro. That's about it. As far as I can tell, that's all there is to the PS-Pro period. Things be prettier.

But unless I'm off in my understanding, isn't HDR a format that the display has to have support for? And didn't it not exist before 4K displays? I.E., no non-4K display has support for HDR, so if you don't have a 4K display then the HDR update for non-pro PS4 is completely pointless?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks