What's new

PS3 information (1 Viewer)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, let's not dismiss things we don't understand yet, lest we look like luddites. Sony know what they're doing, and I look forward to the future of media-free entertainment.

And Joe, sorry about your Playstation experiences. It happens. No console I have ever had has been free of problems. Remember how the NES wouldn't properly load cartridges, or you'd have to blow on 2600 cartridges? I've also had a skippy Dreamcast in the past and disc read errors on my Xbox. Happens to 'em all.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I think it'll be interesting to see the PS3 and Xbox2 go head to head, especially since their hardware philosophies are so different. Microsoft likes the idea of taking off-the-shelf computer parts and tying them together with a gaming OS, while Sony insists on spending hundreds of millions of dollars on developing a new CPU which it believes will be desirable enough that it will find applications outside its PS3 in other consumer electronics.

In the end, we'll see how they measure up.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...864182,00.html
According to Kyodo News, Sony Computer Entertainment has begun development of its successor to the PlayStation 2 hardware. The hardware is said to be focused heavily on high-speed fiber optic Internet connectivity, which would make it possible for it to run games without the use of disc-based media. Development of the hardware is currently targeted for completion in 2005.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I personally would rather have a copy of the game to play at my house and then be able to download a backup if it gets ruined or something. Having to download games would cause problems or just be annoying.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Anyone remember the 'HYPE' of the PS2 and then what actually came out? A system slightly better in graphical quality than the Dreamcast.
Maybe for the PS3 they will release a suped up version of FANTAVISION.:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I held off buying into this generation of game consoles knowing I would like to wait patiently for the next generation. I think with this kind of speed, and proper programming, they could create surreal video games at HD resolutions. Question though... How long would it take the average action game to be developed for this kind of console? Would it be the demise of many smaller game developers?

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Hmm...sounds suspiciously like DIVX. I don't like the idea of "streaming" video games (this has actually been around since the Atari 2600 days). I like owning my games, and I don't want to be constrained from playing my console just because the server is overloaded or down. This would also mean that the console would not be backwards-compatable with the PS2 or PSX (and backwards-compatability was a big selling point of the PS2).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think they should do something like "buy the game in stores, if it breaks, download it from the net" or "download from the net instead of buy in stores, but both options available." I really want to be able to buy my games and play them instead of download them. When you buy a game in stores, you don't need an ISP just to load it up.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's important to remember that PROCESSING POWER is not the chokepoint on speed right now.
Processors have raced ahead of memory and storage access to the point that it might require new architectures to fully utilize this power.
For example the new P4s that have a "400MHz" front side bus, which is really a 100MHz bus that clocks twice the bits on both the up and down edge of the clock.
But then I read something like the lastest Discover magazine which had an article on left-handed optics work which could break open much tighter etching for future processors/ICs. So maybe more memory could be stuffed onto the IC with the superfast processor.
It's stuff like that which keeps popping up and makes Moore's Law keep on keeping on. :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I held off buying into this generation of game consoles knowing I would like to wait patiently for the next generation. I think with this kind of speed, and proper programming, they could create surreal video games at HD resolutions. Question though... How long would it take the average action game to be developed for this kind of console? Would it be the demise of many smaller game developers?
Neil, that's a good question. As it is right now, a top-quality game takes 2 years to make. All of this focus on graphics absolutely takes more resources. Does it lead to the demise of smaller game developers? I think so, & it also leads to less risky game concepts & more "safe bet" sequels. Does that remind you of another industry we talk about around here? ;)
-Dan "don't make me post the Yamauchi rant" B.

Dan B

Screenwriter
One thing about streaming games...that may work in a small country like Japan, but here in North America, forget about it! Not in the next generation.

-Dan

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
One thing about streaming games...that may work in a small country like Japan, but here in North America, forget about it!
What's your reasoning behind this idea? I can understand if broadband communication is more common in Japan, but that really would be more a function of Japan being more urbanized than North America, as opposed to "smaller".

Dan B

Screenwriter
Jason, I meant that because of the way the population is spread out in the North America, the likelihood of a fiber optic network covering the country in time for the PS3 is zero. Half of our population lives in rural areas. (I, for example, can not get anything but a 56K dial-up connection where I live)

-Dan

MitchellC

Grip
Too bad developers' minds don't multiply in power as fast as hardware does!

Army Men 8,789 in 1080i on the next generation's console will still just be another Army Men game. I'd rather have my favorite 'inadequate' SNES/GBA/DC/SAT/NGC (by the next generation's standards) games anyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks