What's new

PS2 not reading discs common? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just picked up NFL 2K3 yesterday and my PS2 won't read it! :angry: :angry:
Is this a common occurence with PS2 discs? I've rented a bunch of games in the past for my PS2 and never had a problem. Even though I only actually own 2 other games, I have never had a problem with any other discs. I blew the console out with compressed air, but it didn't help. I didn't think it would anyways since this was the only disc I was having problems with.
Anyways, now I gotta go to back to Best Buy for an exchange.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
no, give your ps2 a blowjob first.

here it goes : go to radioshack. buy a can of pressurized air. then find openings around your ps2, blow it off.

my ps2 worked again just fine after that. how did i know to do that in the first place? well do a research in this forum...somebody here told me to do the blowjob.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The 'blowjob' doesn't always work...

That is definitely good advice, and it works for some, but (unfortunately) not all. The compressed air trick worked for a while, but soon became ineffective.

My PS2 will not play
1) most DVDs, especially dual-layer and Viacom/Disney related discs (Amelie, Bug's Life 2 Disc, The Rock, etc etc)
2) many blue and black-bottomed game discs, including one of my favorite games, Frequency (which it used to play flawlessly.

My PS2 is kept in a place largely free of errant dust and debris, it has hardly ever been moved and kept in very good condition/order, and the DISC READ ERROR has kept me from enjoying much of the software I own for it.

Unfortunately this problem seems random and has been impossible to prove as a manufacturer's defect. This flaw has instead been painted as a result of misuse/mistreatment/mishandling of the PS2 console by careless kids.

The PS2's chassis makes it difficult to diagnose anything without taking the whole damned thing apart.

~j

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sony has a history of including bad disc drives in their systems and then denying they did anything wrong

Fixes mysteriously appear in later versions of the system

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, I used about a 1/2 can of compressed air on my PS2 and I was sorta able to get 2K3 sorta working. The dialog was all laggy and the load times were horrendous. It eventually stopped working altogether.

I finally decided to take the game back to Best Buy for an exchange. Everything seems FINE now. I guess it really was a bad disc after all.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Blowjobs.....blowjobs.....something tells me I need to stay out of this thread. :laugh:
Seriously, I've only had this problem with movies.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
hehe
The problem on my PS2 was initially *just* with certain movies (a handful at most) too, and it didn't bother me very much. Before long, though, more and more movies got the disc read error message and I stopped buying movies because of it. However, my PS2 continued to load all games without flaw.
But then... One day, my copy of Frequency (one of my best loved games on the system), which had previously loaded right away, refused to load (I haven't been able to play it since. :frowning: ) ...followed by VF4, followed by various other games. Now my PS2 is well on the way to becoming a big black & blue paperweight. My GCN is chugging along just fine, though. :)
Joseph

Jeremy_Sharp

Auditioning
My PS2 works fine for movies but has a problem reading games. I through the compressed air at it but that Didn’t seem to make a difference. I thought about trying to exchange it at wal-mart...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My friend's PS2 broke today after his 3 year old cousin smacked it. Too bad, he had just gotten SOCOM and the network adapter. It stopped reading discs, so I'm guessing the laser was messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks