What's new

I've discovered a lot of USB-C cables are garbage. (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need to check with my wife on how backups are doing on her computer. I'd spend for an SSD since she does actual work on her iMac.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just dollars to donuts: I wanted to spend ~$100 which only gets me ~1TB SSD, not enough for Time Machine.

You can actually get to 2TB for roughly that price these days, but I guess still not enough for your Time Machine though...

Also, as John alluded, not sure SSD tech is good for that kind of use (w/ lots of rewriting) anyway... although the swap space in any system SSD would also get lots of rewriting, which used to concern me (and still make me wonder a bit)...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, 2TB is probably enough for Time Machine. I bought a 4TB spinny disc to have overkill storage at loss of speed.

I’m in a frustrating place of not really sure what I need or how much I should spend on it. I finally made myself stop analysis paralysis and just bought normal hard drive to get on with life.

I’m not really sure I even need Time Machine. But I need an external drive to force iCloud to download my complete Photos Library for a backup. So I might as well get a big TM replacement for my recently failed drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks