What's new

PS2 and 5.1 setup (1 Viewer)

tim_Neil

Agent
I recently bought NCAA 2003 on the PS2... which is apparently supposed to feature 5.1 (DTS) It is hooked up through my optical digital output to a Denon 1803 receiver. When I start up the game... at no time does the automatic digital switch indicate that it is receiving DTS data. I can only get the system to play it in NEO:6 and ProLogic 2 decoding. How can I receive the sound through digital means? Anyone have any insight on this matter?

Tim

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
You have to go into the options menu of the game and select DTS. I dont have NCAA but that is how you had to do it in SSX tricky

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Not sure if this applies to this game or not, but all other games that have DTS are referring to cut scenes and intros. To my knowledge the PS2 doesn't have an onboard surround encoder.

John Chow

Second Unit
Actually, I believe the EA games use DTS in game, not just in cut scenes. I think they have their own proprietary algorithm for encoding stuff into DTS. Presumably they use DTS over DD, since less compression=less work needed (my theory).

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I played a hockey game with DTS on my PS2. My DTS indicator lit up, but it wasn't discrete 5.1 sound. As I understand it, they developed a way to make a game in DTS during gameplay, but they still haven't made it a true 5.1 discrete surround experience...I don't believe true 5.1 is capable on the PS2.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
DTS in game is accomplished with a specially made software encoder included on the game disc. According to DTS's website, it is discrete surround sound:
DTS Interactive offers the ONLY real-time interactive multi-channel discrete solution for PlayStation®2

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Play SSX Tricky in DTS, it sounds pretty discreet to me when other boarders race up from behind me.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I checked my sound options in NCAA and could not find anything but stereo or mono. Is there somewhere else that I can select DTS. I have my PS2 connected via optical cable to a Onkyo 600 and all I can do is PL II, or NEO:6 also. Is there a list of what PS2 games take advantage of DTS?

tim_Neil

Agent
So I guess there aren't any definitive answers here... the mystery goes on...

I already tried the options menu, like Jim , and it didn't pick up the DTS symbol.

I think ProLogic II is great and all but I want those discrete channels.
Thanks for the help so far,

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks