What's new

Please help me decide on new components! (1 Viewer)

nemgod

Auditioning
Real Name
Nem
Hello and thanks for reading my thread. I have never owned a home theater system but am now in the market to obtain one. I would like to stay away from HTiB systems and just need some suggestions for where to start looking.

My setup:

37" 1080p vizio
xbox 360
wii
ps2
computer to play video, music, and dvds (hdmi or dvi out is possible)

My Intended System Use:

I mainly will be using this system for movies and television. I have an iphone and wouldn't mind some sort of a dock for the phone...but that is absolutely not necessary as I could just connect the audio jack to an amp/receiver.

My Interests:

I have been interested in an Onkyo receiver or amplifier and Polk audio speakers. I would like to have a 5.1 surround system. The polk RT800 front tower speakers stand out as something I'd be itnerested in. I saw a pair used on craigslist for less than $300 but someone beat me to it.

My Budget:

This isn't something I need to buy all at once. I have a 5.1 computer speaker system connected to the tv now and it will suffice for the most part...but the audio isn't ballanced very well and there is no remote control. So I figure I can buy all the componentes individually depending on good deals that come about. I am wanting to try and spend no more than $600 on the system after all has been purchased.

So what I am asking for is basic information on how to pair up individual speakers and any suggestions you might have for good components that will fit within my price range. I really like the look of the tower speakers and am somewhat set on having those next to my tv. As for rear speakers...I don't currently have a great place to mount them behind the couch but was thinking they could hang from the ceiling or something....if it helps, I can make a floorplan of my living room or just take some pictures. I'm not fishing for super audiophile satisfaction with this system...just something that is a well thought out/above average performing system.

Oh, I also had a question about an older Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sound system I have. I actually have 2 of these systems and was wondering if I could use the sub for the system while waiting to purchase the main sub that I'll be using. I'm really a novice when it comes to home theater/audio and am not sure on connectivity compatibity between components. If you guys know any good articles or forum posts I should read up on I'd really appreciate it. I do have quite a bit of technical knowledge (I'm a robotics engineer), but never really took a step towards audio setups. Thanks so much for your time and I'm happy to be a new member of this forum.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Polks are sometimes on sale on the Fry's web site but you have to be quick because they sell out quickly. Otherwise a good set of tower speakers will blow your entire budget.

It's always best to get the front three speakers as a matched set so as sound pans across them, it doesn't change as it moves from speaker to speaker. This is called 'timbre matching'. I'd check out the For Sale section here.

arporscheman

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Must agree on the Fry's purchasing of towers. I got a set for I think $100 and they are not the best speakers ever but are great for the price. I bought my center channel at Best Buy to match and now am looking for surrounds. But I would definitely say try Fry's. BUT with looking to get everything for under $600 may be a little tight unless you are going to look to get multiple pieces used.

nemgod

Auditioning
Real Name
Nem
Hey guys thanks for your responses. I know keeping it under or around 600 is almost impossible...but I can be flexible! I checked out Fry's and they have the RS50 cherry tower speakers for $69 a piece. That doesn't seem like a bad deal...but I might hold out and get something a bit better...and I would prefer the color to be black.

Now for an important question. There is a guy here selling a Polk PSW110 subwoofer for $125 and I think I'll buy it later tonight. Is that a good deal? From what I see on the internet it seems pretty decent. If I go with that sub, can you guys recommend other components to match it? Thanks

arporscheman

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I think those RS50s may be what I got. And I believe that sub would work with them or the 60s. But not for sure on that.

nemgod

Auditioning
Real Name
Nem
Ok, a new side note to my components....I have decided I will save money for a couple months and get the SVS SBS-01 5.1 system with a Denon AVR 1909 receiver. So my budget has gone from 600 to about 1500....

I think I'll be happy with that decision but I would really appreciate some input! Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks