What's new

Projector versus TV (1 Viewer)

Tsiege

Auditioning
Real Name
Tristan Siegel
So I'm debating about whether or not to buy a projector or TV, I'm a college student and money is an issue as is space. So I was leaning towards picking up an HD projector for hopefully a little under 1000. My friend at school had a projector and I fell in love with the idea and was intending on buying one when my friend showed me a plasma 42 inch going for around 450. So now I'm sure what to do, should I go with a projector or a TV? Here are some things going into my decision:

1) I don't watch much TV and it would really be used for the occasional movie and video game playing.

2) Size, if I'm living in a dorm room most of the year and then in a cramped room at home I need something that can travel well in a packed car and not take up too much space.

3) Money, funds are limited because I'm trying to save as much as I can and would not like to spend 1000 dollars and be disappointed.

4) While this isn't a major concern I try to be as eco friendly as possible and I know HD TVs especially plasmas can energy consuming but I honestly don't know anything about projectors energy consumption.

With the exceptions of reason 3 I would have said straight away gone with the TV, any advice and good projectors or TVs that someone would recommend?

Thanks a lot,

Tristan

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
hey Tristan, If I were you I would get the HDTV. Just make sure it is full 1080P because a 42 inch that cheap will most likely be only 720P But you can get Full HD tv's in LCD for 600 or 700 bucks in that size. Lcd are very power friendly too. Although TV don't travel well, I think it will get the most bang for the buck. You should also know that a projector bulb is only good for 1,000 to 4,000 hours depending on the bulb, and replacements cost like 300 bucks. A LCD panel will last way longer, like 50 to 60,000 hours before the back light goes. Finding a full HD projector for 1,000 bucks is nearly impossible, last I checked they were still closer to 2,000 but you could find a deal. So in the long run the tv will be cheaper and last longer than the projector without expensive parts. also remember that your image from a projector will be only as good as your screen material, and those cost 2 or 300 bucks. you can always use the wall but then HD is pointless. I would only use a projector for a dedicated theater myself and only if I could afford extra bulbs. Hope this helps you.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Whatever happened to spending all your free time studying, when in college?

A projector would probably be stolen from your dorm room the first week.

Buy a cheap TV until you're out of school and working.

Tsiege

Auditioning
Real Name
Tristan Siegel
I doubt that would happen at my school my friend had a projector and kept his room unlocked all year and everyone knew and he still has it

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Bulb replacement in a projector can be very expensive. You might better take that into consideration too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks