What's new

Projector Contrast Ratios? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've been debating whether to settle between a Sharp XVZ-12000 DLP or Digital projection I Vision HDX DLP projector and one of the issues has been the higher contrast ration of the sharp which displays a 5500:1 over DPI's standard 4000:1 contrast.

I mentioned this to an HT expert/delaer today who I've been working with and his response was... "Do you like staring into the sun?"

I obviously responded, "no." and he basically told me that that is essentially the equivalent and that most cinema theatres stick with approx. 4000:1 contrast ratio for a reason. He said that the higher the contrast, the more the color tends to shift and since more light is being reflected off the screen, it would be much too bright.

I was concerned because my HT is surrounded by two floor-to-ceiling windows on both a back and side wall opposite the screen, and while I have curtains and blinds and tend to generally make use of the room at night, my control of lighting is not premium. There is still some ambient light, but I don't think it's to a degree that it would interefere significantly with my HT viewing experience.

I'd like to know what your take is on the contrast issue?

I'm basically trying to determine whether I'm going to stick with the Sharp XVZ-12000 which is a significantly LARGER unit and has much more fan noise - which is NOT a good thing considering the projector would be directly over head above the seating area and the room space is fairly tight and compressed.... or the Digital Projection I Vision HDX which is much smaller, quieter, but offers less contrast w/ a 4000: 1 ratio.

-----------------------------------

BTW, Here are the specs for the DPI IVISION HD, in case you are not farmiliar with the projector...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Digi...iVision_HD.htm

or

http://projectorcatalog.com/info/projectors_2972.html

AND

The Sharp XVZ-12000 obviously...

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sharp_Sh...12000_22033910

---------------------------------------------------

Please let me know what you thinka nd if you could please answer my question regarding contrast and what you think about what I was told, it would really be appreciated and help me out a lot!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.. 4000:1 and 5500:1 are both really high.

As far as looking into the sun??? I would of said, with all my windows it should have the ability to at least compete with looking into the sun!! :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you properly calibrate either projector, you will end up with a useable CR of 500-600:1 ...

The higher CR number means nothing since both end up with about the same numbers.

Add to that ... the human eye can only decern about 500:1 CR anyway ... if that.

Regards

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

LOL, are you suggesting I should stick with the highest possible contrast based on the ambient lighting control in my HT than?

Again, I'll mainly be getting use of my HT in the evenings, and do have hidden pull-down blinds (blackouts looked hiddeous in my livingroom!) behind my curtains so very little light passes through. They're not 100% blackout and not absolutely prime choise for daytime theatre viewing, but I would say they're still pretty effective...

Since fan noise was such a concern of mine as well, I started leaning towards the DPI projector. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision here because one of the main features of the Sharp and what boasts highly in all reviews, is the amazing contrast levels it displays.

Does this effect black levels at all in the image?

Thanks!

:)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Thanks so much Michael!!

That's what i was told and I'm glad you confirmed!!!

You just made my decision for me, thanks so much!!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

John S

Senior HTF Member
No, I am not / was not suggesting anything.

Just thinking of a smart arsed come back to a sales guy's smart arsed comment to you was all. :)

Your room sounds really great for FP. Projection sets, really should not be driven to perform well with a lot of ambient day light about. Would drecrease bulb life dramatically.

The other posters were really right on with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks