What's new

Progressive Scan Problems (1 Viewer)

Rocky F

Second Unit
Thanks for that link, that helps alot. It looks like I would just need a good progressive player, and it shouldn't be an issue at all with HD.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The symptom of no 3:2 pulldown...

Jaggies on long straight lines that are angled, not vertical or horizontal.

It's pretty obvious, it really becomes more apparent on 480p and above though as that is where extra lines are added in.

NTSC being 480i, should be uneffected by it. But then when you blow that up to large sizes like 60", you see all the other NTSC issues. So the slight jaggies from line doubling become much lesser of the trade off even without 3:2 pulldown. I am amazed at how well the 3:2 pulldown works for getting rid of jaggies.

I do so much Laserdisc still, I do sort of wish my HDTV had 3:2 pulldown, but am still way way glad it line doubles all sources, and I just accept the slight jaggies I occasionally get as the lesser of two evils.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You can buy stand alone de-interlacers with 3-2 pulldown sensing. You can get good ones for around USD 500. or less (iScan models) if your 16:9 TV can zoom a 480p non-anamorphic letterbox picture to almost fill the screen, otherwise you would be spending around 1000. for an iScan Ultra or Lumagen Vision that does the zoom also.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a real nice de-interlacer / scaller is on my list of wants already. Thansk for the tip!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks