What's new

Programmers: what are you using? (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to see what other programmers out there are using (hardware, but mainly software).
My setup at work:
PIII 600 w 256 MB RAM
We're running Microsoft Visual Studio, but we have a few guys who swear by Borland C-Builder (and even one guy who is using CodeWarrior :laugh: )
Pretty much spend most of my day in Visual C++, hitting VB when necessary for writing Active X controls.
What tools do you use to aid in your programming? I've been using Purify alot recently... its a must have! It picks out potential memory leaks, etc... Also use Microsoft's Dependency Walker alot.
I usually have Visual C++ installed as my default debugger, changing over to Dr. Watson when I need a report generated.
What environment are you programming in?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've used few different environments, but I have to say that Visual Studio is the best that I've used yet. The IDE is great, and the debugger is good for most of what you'll need (except finding memory leaks). For that, Purify is good, but I like the integration that Bounds Checker offers into Visual Studio.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Well I don't do any programming other than a few classes I've taken but I do work for a software company. I've done a little VB. However our company uses mostly Centura SqlWindows on our older product, Java for our newer one and a little C++ here and there.
Steve, if you are ever looking for a developer position our company also has a good sized office up there in Cambridge.
http://www.deltek.com
Jeff

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
My company gave us a Dell laptop - PIII 700mhz (I think), 256mb ram.

Software - Borland JBuilder 4, and Microsoft Visual C++

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Hardware:
Pentium II/400 w/128 MB RAM
Software:
SecureCRT
Oracle
emacs
As you can tell, I am a POWER USER :)
Actually, I log into a remote machine and do my programming through a shell, so there's no need to be really fast. I program in Tcl and Oracle PL/SQL - no OOP (yet).

RicP

Screenwriter
hardware:
Dual PIII/933 Mhz 1GB RAM 80GB SCSI HDD
Software:
Mainly Visual Studio and VS.NET. Use BoundsChecker for leak detection although Purify is very good as well.
Primarily C++/ATL with straight C/SDK and VB for COM DLL's
Throw in ASP and a lot of WSH scripts for administration as well.
I also program on Linux, and use primarily C compiled with gcc. I tend to just use a good X editor, rather than a complete IDE in Linux.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

I might be taking you up on that offer considering my company was just auctioned off this past Monday (we'll see if I still have a job in a few days). What company do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

RicP,

I agree, ATL is ideal for writing and maintaining COM objects. I haven't delved into .NET yet but we subscribe to the MSDN so we've had the .NET framework for some time now. Actually, we just received the new Platform SDK from Microsoft today, so tomorrow will be spent paroosing around the new stuff (if there is anything new). So what do you think of .NET in general? I plan on getting into C# soon, I just hope it isn't the next J++...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys,
I'm not really a coder by trade (haven't been serious since doing pascal in highschool, I now confine myself to the occassional ASP application)...
But with all the programmer types here, I have to ask:
Why haven't you guys pitched in on some of the Home Theater related programming tasks?
I know that some great HTPC software has been written by fellow enthusiasts like you guys. Dscaler, YXY, the new TheaterTek DVD player-- all these were developed by HT buffs who looked to make software specific for HT needs. Most of these projects are open source, and looking for help.
I would encourage anyone who has a few spare hours to lend your skills and knowledge to some of these causes. I know there is a push to get Dscaler to work with different input card chipsets- but no one has yet stepped up to the task or programming! There are always great ideas that require good programming help to work out the bugs and make a reality...
Again- I would love to see some of the better HT guys pitch in to make the HTPC thing work better!
-Vince

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ack, Vince...you have no idea how difficult it is to do video programming. :)
Some of the stuff that's needed for HTPC programming requires in-depth device driver programming knowledge, plus DirectX work. A lot of low-level hacking involved, and with all the different video chipsets out there it'll be a nightmare. And windows isn't the most stable platform to do a lot of hacking like that!
Besides, most programmers like myself, program at work all day, and are in no mood to stare at a computer screen when they get home.
I'm currently unemployed right now though...hmmm...

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hi Steven,

I actually do work for Deltek here in Mclean, Va. A couple years back we bought out a company up there in Cambridge by the name of Harper & Shuman but they basically operate under the deltek name right now. Let me know and maybe I can find out the appropriate person to speak with up there.

Jeff

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Some of the stuff that's needed for HTPC programming requires in-depth device driver programming knowledge, plus DirectX work. A lot of low-level hacking involved, and with all the different video chipsets out there it'll be a nightmare. And windows isn't the most stable platform to do a lot of hacking like that!
Oh, I understand completely- but thought even helping out on streamlining code, or checking to make some portions more effecient, or even helping to update user interfaces a little. Again, the programming tasks aren't only in the video realm, I just think that the HTPC core group of guys writing software is the coolest concept-- very pro-community anarchist stuff that I have a soft spot for.

A lot of the code is still kinda thrown together because the people working on it are usually working to add new features and support, rather than refining the existing stuff. Since it sounds like many of you guys know the game- thought it might be interesting if you could spare a couple hours on a weekend to help the cause.

If it means anything, I'm currently trying to reaquainted with programming STRICTLY so I can contribute to these types of projects. I would think that if I could find the time to relearn C++, some pros could find a few hours to check out the code and see if they could contribute.

Anyway, just figured I'd throw that out, again would love to see more HTF guys get involved in some of the ongoing projects.

-vince

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Vince,

Several good points have been made about the difficulty of graphics programming. At the bare minumim, a strong knowledge of DirectX is needed (on top of REALLY knowing a language, of course).

If you plan on doing it in C++, you also need to know COM. (well, actually you can use the C++ wrapper but I recommend against it). All DirectX objects are COM objects.

Of course, I also sit in front of a computer all day and program. I actually really enjoy progamming, so taking it up outside of work is not really that big of a deal; however, right now isn't the best time with me trying to plan a wedding and all.

I'd be glad to help out in any capacity. I do know C++ and COM like the back of my hand; but I don't know DirectX that well (of course, it is just an SDK after all...) However, programming is one of those areas that, just because you are a programmer by trade, doesn't mean that you are able to write any kind of application or code. Most programmers are very, very skilled at what they are writing; however ask them to do anything outside of that, and they'll probably struggle alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks