What's new

Problems vent hole (1 Viewer)

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Well since I was going to buy the Shiva drivers from Adire I figured I should go ahead and purchase their vent kit and just use their plans also.
That was a mistake.
First of all their cut list for their '142.5L Vented Box' is wrong. So if you follow the plans exactly like I did, you are going to have problems.
So after purchasing more MDF, which is not expensive, but for me a major hassle. While waiting on the vents and Shivas, I decided I would cut out all of the holes in the braces, and for the vents and drivers.
That was mistake number two.
The vent hole size of 3.38" radius is wrong. I actually erred on the small size and now that I have the vents, I see that my holes are too big!
The flange on the vent is large enough that the vent will not fall through; however, I can not screw it down because the screw holes are right on the edge.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could attach these vents, besides buying more MDF?

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
how much of the flare is left to overhang onto the mdf from the screw holes to the outside of the flare? seems to me a bit of epoxy would be the easy thing to try, rather than trying to route a doughnut "sleeve" to fill in the missing mdf. whadya think?

Julian Data

Second Unit
I thought the flare diameter was over 7".. 7.125" to be precise? Given the radius at the bigger in 3.5625".
So with the smaller flare portion radius would be smaller than this.
------------------

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
The outside diameter is 7.25". The proper radius for the hole should be about 6", maybe a hair bigger. I just bought some new MDF. I figure if I am going to build this, I might as well do it right.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
The diameter of the larger outside flare is 7.25" , the diameter of the cutout should be equal to the diameter of the smaller inside flare 6.25".

I have a seperate question concerning internal vent holes for a sealed Shiva/PR enclosure.
I am currently building the sealed 142.5L EBS alignment and I am wondring if I should leave the internal vent holes on the cross braces with a right angle on the edges or if I should round these edges out. I don't know if it would make much (if any) of a difference but I thought this might reduce turbulence slightly inside the box.
Thoughts?
------------------
Its now where you go, its how fast you get there...

Julian Data

Second Unit
I wouldn't worry about rounding off the internal brace holes. I don't think it would make much difference.
jd
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks