What's new

Problem with Wega and S-VHS. (1 Viewer)

Rob N

Agent
Ever since I had my S-VHS VCR (Toshiba W-808) connected via S-video to my Wega (36-FV26) the picture when playing video tapes is terrible. It is difficult to describe the problem but the picture appears "pixilated" and "blurry" and at times the images even have a "trailing effect" like when you have a trail turned on for your mouse pointer. This happens especially during close up shots of a persons face or during fast moving action scenes. When I switch the TV's input from S-video to the RF coax connection (run through the VCR as well) the problem goes away. The colors and overall "brightness" are much better using the S-video input but this problem pixalation and blurriness makes it almost un-watchable.
At fist, I thought the problem was with the S-VHS VCR but since the problem goes away when using the RF coax connection I'm thinking that the problem is with the Wega and the S-video input. Would this have anything to do with the comb filter on the Wega (I can't recall if it is bypassed when using the S-video input) or SVM (which I have set to off)? I used the same S-video cable (Monster 3) for my DVD player (until I switched to component) and it worked fine for that so I don't think it is the cable itself.
I'm frustrated about this because the whole reason I bought a S-VHS VCR was to get a better picture and it actually looks worse (as compared to my standard VHS VCR using composite inputs)? Any suggestions?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
If possible; take your VCR to another similar sized TV (with SVideo input capability) and determine of the problem lies with the VCR or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks