Problem with component video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan_Lim, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I was just at a friends house who's having a problem with his component video.

DVD player: Sony DVP 360
    TV: 27" Sony Wega - don't know the exact model

Problem: When we hook up the component video the picture is in black and white.

We tried the following in trying to solve the problem:

1) Hooked up the DVD player through the S-VHS connector to verify that the player does in fact work. The player worked fine through the S-VHS connection.

2) Tried a different set of cables, which gave the same result. We also took out an ohmmeter and verified the cables didn't have any sort of break in them.

3) Made sure all the connections were snug on the DVD player and the TV

4) Switched the cables around so that red connected to blue, and blue to green, etc.... to see what this would do. This did provide colour in the picture, however the picture was not viewable and was basically a bunch of noise on the screen.

I'm starting to think either the component out on the DVD player or the component in on the TV doesn't work properly. We're kind of frustrated, the next step is to bring my DVD player over to his place and try it out. I suppose if it works then we know it's a problem with his DVD player. Right now, I can't think of what the problem might be.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Did you set the DVD player for component output? You need to do this on most DVD players, and if you don't you either get B&W or a very red picture.

I'm assuming Svideo or Composite looked fine.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've personally never heard of a player that has the ability to select which video outputs to use, nor have I ever had to configure any players in this way. Audio is another story.

What needs to be done first is to find another TV to test the DVD player's outputs with. Next would be to test the TVs component inputs.

From what you say, my inclination would be that either the TVs inputs do not function properly, the TV does not actually have component inputs, or you are plugging the inputs into the wrong set of inputs.

Get the model number of the TV and it should be easy enough to figure out if the TV does, in fact, have component inputs.

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I had this happen with a Panasonic TV and a JVC DVD player once (component was in B & W/S-Video was in color). I eventually gave up on trying to fix the problem. I tried leaving the TV unplugged for a while and that didn't work. A week later, the same component connects/wires worked. No problems since.

Maybe the TV reset itself somehow?

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There's no need to "adjust" the DVD player to be able to output a Y/PbPr signal. You've both done the correct thing by attempting to isolate the problem (assuming, of course, that the component cables were being connected to the appropriate component inputs on the WEGA).

Try a different player. If it works, then the problem is the Sony 360. If it doesn't, then the problem is with the WEGA.

6. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Odd, I've never had a player that you didn't have to select the output, I've had about 5 players. They all have a menu similar to this:
    http://renaldo.freeservers.com/Menu.html(has been linkified because of probs displaying the image)
    From my experience, if the player does not have component selected you get either a B&W screen, or a mainly red one when using component. So you're saying that most players don't have this and just send signal to all the outputs at once?

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

None of the players in my house do!

8. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

Thanks for all the replies. They've been quite helpful.

9. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

My Pioneer has a switch on the back to toggle for either Composite/SVideo or Component.

10. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

I've also recently run into the user selectible output when hooking up my buddies RCA model. Unfortunately, the manual made no mention of it (granted I didn't look for long). Makes set-up kind of a pain when you can't use the on-screen menu unless you first hook the player up via s-video (default setting) to switch it over to component.

Bill

Allan, any luck yet?
    I'm not too familiar with Wegas, but does it store seperate video settings for each input? i.e. component different from s-video different from composite etc..

11. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    My Sony DVP-NS900's component video output had to be activated from its setup menu (under 'screen setup'). Its factory default was 'Off'. There is a second option for line out, which was set to S-Video as its default.

However, when component video is set to 'Off' there is absolutely no picture at all (ie. no signal from the component RCA outputs, so not even a B&W picture).

Adam

12. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I haven't visited my friend since I posted. I'll likely go there on Sunday with my DVD player and try my player, plus look to see if he has a selectable output.

I'll let you all know the outcome and thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post.

13. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

Finally got around to visiting my friend. Brought my DVD player RP-82 and as soon as we hooked up the component video it worked right away.

So we know it's not the TV and we went crazy going through the manual and menus for the DVD player but we couldn't find anything that said you needed to turn the colour on for component video.

He's going to contact Sony about the problem. It's starting to look like there's a problem with his DVD player.