What's new

Recording Cable TV ??? (1 Viewer)

Kirk_T

Agent
I'm hoping someone can help!! I posted a similar thread on another board but think this might be a better place.

My problem is being able to Record Cable TV to a VCR Tape. My system is about 3 yrs. old and i haven't got it straight yet. I will list my components and hopefully someone knows how to do this correctly. Currently the system is set up using the TV as a monitor with S-Video and Digital Audio throughout.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-850S
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-440
VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U776 S-VHS
Cable Box: Digital Service w/ Cox Cable
TV: Sony FD Trinitron Wega

Everything comes with component video hookups that im currently NOT using. (I'm not sure why but there aren't that many) The store I bought it from set it up.

Thank You in advance, Kirk

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
In order for us to really know how you can accomplish what you ask, we need to know the make and model of your cable box to see what the outputs are on it. My cable box, also from Cox is a Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD and has 1 coaxial, 1 component, 1 S-Video and 1 composite outputs. It also has 1 digital coaxial audio output and 1 set of L/R analog outputs. Let us know what your box has for outputs and we can more easily help you. Also, does the VCR have selectable inputs for video? My JVC S-VHS does not. It only has the coaxial cable input and a set of composite L/R A/V inputs on the front. I can only record the basic cable channels on mine and must use my DVD recorder to record the higher numbered channels. :)

Kirk_T

Agent
Chuck,

Scientific Atlantica on the Cable Box. Model #2100. It has coax. input and output. digital audio output. video out and s-video out. and r/l audio.

The VCR has r/l audio input and output. video in/out. s-video in/out. It also has antenna (traditional coax) input and output.

Is there any other information you need? Thanks for your fast reply.

Kirk

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Kirk,

I'd just use a coax cable to connect the cable box to the VCR. Then, run S-video out and L/R audio out from the VCR to one of your receiver's inputs (i.e. "VCR", "Video 1", etc.).

For your receiver's TV/SAT input, use your cable box's digital audio out and S-video out.

--Nathan

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kirk,

Since you mentioned having digital cable service, the connection method Nathan advised may not work all that well. You will have to have the VCR tuned to channel 3 or 4 to record – which is fine, but you might find that you don’t get any programming in stereo like that (which means you won’t get surround sound for those programs). If you find that is the case, get back to us. There are other things you can try.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Wayne,

But if he has digital cable service, isn't there a good chance that his VCR won't be able to tune in the stations (i.e. he will need his cable box to do that)?

I guess that's something I'd always assumed, but never verified.

--Nathan

Kirk_T

Agent
It's starting to sound like its not all that simple after all...LOL Actually, It worked out OK. Not perfect. I did run the coax. from the cable box to the VCR then S-Video and R/L Audios into the receiver. I also did S-Video and Digital Audio connections from the cable box to my receiver.

Was that right?? Well it works...kind of. I can record. I do get digital signal from the cable. The VCR sounds pretty good. The only problem seems to be that my VCR cant quite read my Cable Box fully. The only way i could get the IF emitter to change the channels was to set it up as an analog Cable box. They are having a hard time as the VCR only does 2 digit chanels and my Cable wants to use 3 digits. Hopefully a phone call to the cable company will solve that.

Thanks everyone,

Kirk

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nathan,
That is correct – the VCR can’t tune digital channels. However, I think if the VCR is set for channel 3 or 4, everything from the cable box will get there, and it should record whatever station the cable box is set for.

Hope that makes sense – it’s basically the same thing as if the cable box was connected directly to the TV via the antenna connections, and the cable box’s signal shows up on the TV’s channel 3 or 4.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kirk_T

Agent
Wayne,

Actually the VCR has this IF Emitter that actually changes the cable challen from the VCR. Sounds weird to me but it does. My issue is it is using 2 digit channels for reg. cable and the cable box has 3 digit channels so often times the VCR tunes the Cable Box to the wrong channe.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their help.

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks