What's new

Do I have to calibrate both? (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I just got a copy of DVE and used it to calibrate my analogue Sony Wega 32" KV32FS100 using my Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player. I've been using the player for audio only until Sunday night and last night I found picture setting controls in the setup menu. I'm much more of an audio guy so maybe my question is a bit silly but, do I have to calibrate the player as well as the TV, and if so, in which order should I do this? According to DVE, my TV doesn't pass PLUGE, but they made reference to the player possibly being the source of the problem. However, if the player has its own picture setting controls, would changing them solve this PLUGE problem? I really could use some help with this. Thanks.

P.S. I should probably note that I'm using my receiver as a video switcher, with two DVD players (one of which I only use for hi-res music) hooked in via component, an S-VHS VCR and a PVR hooked in via S-Video, all passed through one set of component cables to my TV.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If your setup is not passing 'blacker-than-black' material, it may be a range limitation in your player setup or your TV, or it may simply be that your player is clipping black detail. You may want to experiment with the IRE setup option, if available in your player, but I recommend you read a bit about this and understand this function. Switching this will require you to recalibrate.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
What Chris said. I've had several Sony tvs and they had no problem passing Pluge. This is almost always a dvd player limitation, not a tv set problem.

The IRE setup option refers to whether black is output as 0 ire (Japanese ntsc standard) or 7.5 ire (US standard).

Not all players have this adjustment and I've never seen one on which the adjustment was called "ire setup". Look for something called "Black Level" or "Black Enhancement" in the player's setup menu.

You should not have to adjust both the player and the tv in most cases.

I think the best thing to do is calibrate with DVE using only the set's controls, then if a particular disc looks bad use the player's controls to compensate so you won't have to disturb the settings on the tv itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks