What's new

Problem with TV's internal sound system (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Been watching DVD's on my new Toshiba 32A42 and (I know I'm a Philistine) been using the TV's own speakers as my "sound system." This of course is only a stop-gap measure until I can get a proper system.

I've noticed in certain parts of films (especially LORD OF THE RINGS last night), when the sound gets low and "bassy," the cabinet of the television hums--actually reverberates due to the sound frequency. I don't have the volume up that loud, either; about 58 or so.

Am I just bumping up against the limits of the TV's abilities, or is this unacceptable and should I put in for a service call? I can accept the former, but it still seems like the TV's native system would be naturally limited, but not actually defective. I don't know, I'm torn.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well the lower-frequency sounds do require a lot of air-movement. The guys who build their own subwoofers are very concerned with internal-braceing and often stuff the enclosure with polyfoam to reduce internal echos.
It sounds like the sound is rattling around inside your TV cabinent and you may have a loose screw or pieces of plastic that are rattling around.
A service man MIGHT be able to open the unit up and tighten every screw/connector he can find - but this is not his usual type of work. (But if you have free in-home service, why not try?)
But in truth: you are a canidate for an external sound system. :)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
"But in truth: you are a canidate for an external sound system."
I knew you were going to say that:) !
It doesn't sound like a loose piece of plastic or anything (though of course I could be wrong). When it does it, I can push on the cabinet and it'll stop, so it's definitely the whole housing. I checked all the main housing screws and they are good and tight.
On reading some of the beginner's FAQ, it occured to me that maybe I need to switch from the Dolby 5.1 that DVDs (the ones that have it) default to, to the 2.0. Perhaps this is the reason they have the 2.0 after all. I tried this and it did seem to make a difference. Does it seem reasonable to assume that my TV's pitiful little sound system can't handle the 5 channels of 5.1 (let alone the ".1" effects channel) and was just overloading?
Yes, I would love an external sound system, but right now the "Home Theater in a Box" system is all I could afford and I've heard they're generally not worth fooling with.
Edit: Oh yes, thanks much for your reply!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I can push on the cabinet and it'll stop
Where do you have to push to stop the sound? The top? Do you have some old phone-books or encyclopedia's that you can stack on the TV to add weight and stop the rattling?

Some stores (in California at least) sell long straps designed to go around TV's and equipment to secure it to a shelf during an earthquake. Would one of these tightened around your TV do the trick? If you need pressure on the sides, try using one of these straps and then stuffing something under the sides between the strap and cabinent. Experiment with foam, wheel-barrow innertubes, books to solve the problem. Then try to find a more attractive way to implement.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
"Home Theater in a Box" system is all I could afford
The Kenwood HTB systems for $500-$600 seem to offer a lot of value for a very good price. Receiver, 5 speakers and a self-powered sub give you all the toys. And since it has all the parts, you can now upgrade the individual pieces as the finances permit. I've set up two of these systems and the owners are very pleased. My $3000 DefTech/SVS system IS better, but not as much as the price difference.
Another good site for budget equipment is www.cheaphometheater.com .

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you're just pushing the speakers...i wouldn't worry about it.
since the speakers are physically attached to the case, the vibrations from the speakers are being translated into the casing. that's probably the humming you're hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks