What's new

Vizio 47" speakers popping and crackling! (1 Viewer)

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
So I bought this tv at least 5 or 6 years ago and just upgraded to a Samsung SMART.... so I gave it to my parents. They are in their late 70's and not too tech savy. It worked fine for me and for them as well for about a month or so, then it developed this problem; after it's been on for say 15 min. it will (regardless of what your volume level is) begin to make these horrendous popping and cracking sounds.
So yes, I could get it looked at by a tv tech or could I do this?

It's not hooked up to any HT speaker system (which would help overall experience right?). So if I just buy an HT speaker system and plug it in will the problem persist? That is, is it inherent?, and will pass through to the new speakers or does this sound like an "internal speaker" problem?

Or does this tv have an internal "reciever/amplifier" that could be causing the problem and thus pass the troubles right on to the new speakers?

Heck I forgot to ask; has anyone ELSE had this happen?

regards and thanks in advance for any help,

m

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does the problem go away when the TV is muted?

If not...it isn't the audio. But 6 years is 3 years longer than the normal..."Hey, my Vizio has a problem."

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
I've asked my mom (standing here in the office; not at home) and she says "yes".

However I'm wondering if she knows for sure.

Having said that; let's go with "yes" the problem persists when in mute... so what would that mean?

thanks for the response!

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Now I see you've already responded to that question.... if not audio, is it a "put it next to the dumpster" problem? I have no idea what it costs to have a service tech. look at a tv much less repair it.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
TV speakers are pretty cheap, prone to failure. A cheap HTS would solve the Vizio problem, probably one of those newish "soundbars" would work too, since they're marketed to replace crummy TV sound systems. Just go on line, find a "name" soundbar for sale - Bose probably has one - and you can read about how they hook up to the TV.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Bose has one for $400. Seiki has one for $59.99 that should work with that old set and sound just fine to non-audiophiles who just want to get around that crackling problem--check your local Sears store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks