problem with MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Richard Travale, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    A friend of mine just installed MSN Messenger yesterday. He says that the computer worked like a charm beforehand but after using messenger for a while his system crashed. When he went to restart the computer all that came up was his wallpaper and an error message about explorer.exe
    Anyway, he ended up reinstalling Windows ME overtop of his old Win98 and everything is hunky dory.
    He is convinced that somehow messenger did something to his system to cause it to crash. I've been running messenger for years with no problems at all. Has anyone ever had problems like my friend is suggesting?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

He probably had spyware (linked to IE) on his system that relied on an old DLL that MSN Messenger happened to replace upon installation. When the spyware program tried to run, it crashed and took out IE.

That's a guess BTW. [​IMG]

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    It may be a guess but it sounds pretty good. He's afraid to reinstall messenger now.

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I don't blame him. From what I understand after reading a article on Windows Media Player 9 on CNN, MSN 6 can't be un-installed, just like WMP 9. According to Microsoft, its part of the Windows Operating System and so for this reason only a reformat will do the trick. [​IMG]

Perhaps theres a way too but I'm not sure how.