What's new

problem with MSN Messenger (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
A friend of mine just installed MSN Messenger yesterday. He says that the computer worked like a charm beforehand but after using messenger for a while his system crashed. When he went to restart the computer all that came up was his wallpaper and an error message about explorer.exe
Anyway, he ended up reinstalling Windows ME overtop of his old Win98 and everything is hunky dory.
He is convinced that somehow messenger did something to his system to cause it to crash. I've been running messenger for years with no problems at all. Has anyone ever had problems like my friend is suggesting?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
He probably had spyware (linked to IE) on his system that relied on an old DLL that MSN Messenger happened to replace upon installation. When the spyware program tried to run, it crashed and took out IE.

That's a guess BTW. :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I don't blame him. From what I understand after reading a article on Windows Media Player 9 on CNN, MSN 6 can't be un-installed, just like WMP 9. According to Microsoft, its part of the Windows Operating System and so for this reason only a reformat will do the trick. :rolleyes

Perhaps theres a way too but I'm not sure how.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks