What's new

Cannot reformat from floppy ... help (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm more than a little peeved at the moment. I made the mistake of selling my old system to a friend, now everytime something goes wrong it's "Brent can you fix this .. or that" ugh

The problem lies in the fact the one of their daughters(almost 15) accepts EVERYTHING sent to her on MSN messenger and the like .

They also don't keep there virus Definitions up.

It's gotten so bad that I can't reformat from a boot disk. I keep getting "not enough memory" problems.

My questions

1. Can I throw this on my computer as a slave and reformat without worrying about a virus?
I don't use a virus scanner, I'm just smart when it comes to what I download, I also don't use MSN messenger, and am only on line around 30 hours per.

2. Will either of the Maxtor boot disks be able to help me out?? Maxblast2, or powerblast?

3. Could this be a bootsector virus?? Is there any way to get rid of this.

4. Could it also be a dead/dying battery?

HELP, I just want her out of my hair.

Brent
Thanks

Kevin P

Screenwriter
To get rid of a boot virus in order to reformat the drive:

1. Create a boot floppy on a KNOWN clean system with the same OS on it. For example, if the infected machine is running Windows 98, create a boot floppy on a CLEAN Win98 system. Make sure FDISK and FORMAT are on the floppy.

2. WRITE PROTECT the floppy.

3. Take it over to your friend's house, and if the infected machine is on, turn it off and wait 30 seconds to ensure the memory is clear, then turn it back on and boot from your write protected boot floppy.

4. Use FDISK /MBR to rebuild the master boot record and then FDISK to remove the existing partitions and create new ones, then format the drive and reinstall Windows. Don't insert any of his floppies in the machine as they are probably infected.

5. Get an anti-virus program and use it to clean ALL his floppies.

KJP

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.
No more than an hour ... I need sleep:)
Brent L

KyleS

Screenwriter
Brent I know exactly what you are going through since I was asked to build about every one of my families computers. It sucks when they are calling you all the time because this is messed up or that is not working. It took me a long time because I am a really nice guy but I finally broke down and told my first relative that I couldnt do it for free. They were shocked but when I explained how much of my time it takes up and that I could be out making money elsewhere they understood. Granted I give them a greatly reduced rate and charge about 1/2 the time but I have received less "how do I do this" calls. Best of luck reformatting the computer if you do indeed have a boot sector virus, great advice above.

KyleS

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Well I got it reformated, not exactly sure how though.
As is usually the case, the last thing you put on the system always screws it up.
When I first put windows back on the system booted like it should. Even when I load everything else it boots fine.
4 in 1 drivers
video driver
Sound and modem drivers.
and then it's time for the ethernet card, now we are getting 5 minute boot times....
I gave up, she had it booted and was playing on the net when we last talked and wasn't planning on turning it off for the next few days.
So I shouldn't be getting any of "those" calls.
Actually "SHE" doesn't call for small stuff. Any little problem that come up she deals with them.
I do think from now on I'll bring it back to my place though
Brent
We also seem to laugh alot, mostly about work, since there is so much to laugh about:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks