What's new

Pretty neat radio frequency converter for remotes (1 Viewer)

Craig

Second Unit
I wanted to locate my DVD player and cable box in a closet behind the wall where I've mounted the plasma tv. I found a device that is shaped like an AA (or AAA) battery, that's really a RF transmitter (actually part transmitter, part battery). You replace one battery in your remote control with the transmitter device. Apparently even infrared remote controls have internal RF emissions, and this transmitter picks up these internal RF signals and transmits them to a small receiver you place near your remotely located dvd player, cable box, etc.

I've only been using the system one day, but it works well, and it's a pretty cool solution to the problem of locating components in out of the way places. The only thing external to my existing system that I had to add is a small receiving device that converts the RF signal back to infrared (it's about 3 inches high by 4 inches in diameter). The transmitter/battery is rechargeable and you get an extra one, so you always have a fresh transmitter (and you can order extras for additional remotes).

In case anyone is interested, here's what I got (I'm not connected to these guys in any way, just passing this on since it's pretty neat):

http://www.smarthome.com/includes/sh...5iside3big.jpg

http://www.smarthome.com/8045i.html

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I looked at those when I was needing to deal with a situation similar to yours, but passed because it looked pretty flaky. Nice to hear some first-hand feedback.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
How long do the batteries last between charges? A few years ago, I had a friend who used an add on rf module similar to this one, but it used AA batteries. He said it used batteries up quickly. This one that Craig describes appears to solve this problem. Thanks for the post and keep us informed.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was interested in this as an inexpensive was to use my Harmony 520 in a way similar to the 890... until I read that it doesn't work w/ Harmony, Home Theater Master, or Kameleon remotes.

My equipment rack has become somewhat cramped w/ the following:

Swans C3 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer Elite 82TXs Receiver
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
Samsung BDP1000 Blu-Ray Player
Motorola 6412 HD Cable DVR

I'd like to get all of the equipment into the attic but the Harmony 890 costs too much and my experience w/ IR repeaters hasn't been that great so for now I guess it'll all stay jammed in the rack under my screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks