What's new

PP's 2" Flared Port? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Can't get to the file to get this info, so I'll ask here and maybe someone can help me out...

Might someone know the 2" Flared Precision Port (Cutout Measurement)???

Most important for this already built cabinet, is the full measurement across the ~{Outside flare}~ and also the ~{Inside flare~}???

P-Express says, a total length of 11"s for the 2" PP port..
Is this the actual total length (including both inside and outside flares) per port???

I have yet to use the smaller 2" PP flared ports, only the PP 3" and 4" ports. Trying to help a friends upgraded DIY sub breath a little easier with the PP ports. These opposed to the dual straight thin wall 2" ports it currently uses! :emoji_thumbsup:
It's now using a long throw cast basket Credence 10". Due to the cabinets dimensions, a 3" flared port will not fit and still get to the required tuning needed.

Thanks much
Geoff

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I asked this very question over at madisound.com last week, someone was kind enough to post a CAD file they had made for it. The cut measurement is 4.00", with a 5.25" flange on one side and a 4.25" flange-less side. Go check over at the Madisound in the forum, I think it was last Tuesday or so.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Wow!!!, if thats correct it's a bigger flare than I thought it would be.

Thanks Mark, I'll run over and see if I can find it, the post and information that is. If you know where it is, might you post a link in case I can't locate it.

I'll re-post if I do find it along with the info if any different, again thank you very much it's appreciated..

Regards
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Ok went over and got dizzy looking, but did find it! Thanks again Mark

Question:
Is the 2" Madi flared port that your asking about, the same as the PE PP-2"???

Don't have Madi's latest catalog and it's not mentioned in the posts if it's the (PP) 2" port..

Geoff

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I believe they are both made by Precision Sound Products. The pictures in Madisound's catalog and on PE's webpage look identical, down to the press-fit tabs on the non-flanged flare. You may want to email Madisound and confirm that though.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I'll get with PE tomorrow and find out what their measurements are from one of the techs. We have WS accounts their so I'll more than likely pick them up from PE...

I tried calling PE earlier tonight, but was unable to get threw for some reason. Most likely they are the same Flared PP Port, but need to check to be sure. The good ole cut once and measure twice you know!

For some reason I have not got either PE's or Madis latest catalogs. Strange as they have always come like clock work and I/we buy pretty regular from PE and now and then from Madi..

Shoot, forgot about Menicuss Audio, I'll check with them also to see if their handeling the 2" PP ports. Their just down the road from me...

Geoff

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I just got my Madisound 2" flared ports today, they are indeed the same Precision Sound Products "Precision Port" that Parts Express sells, but there are three equally spaced holes already drilled through the mounting flange (whereas the PE flanges leave the hole drilling up to you). The pre-drilled holes on the flange should be the only difference.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yup, found out the same info, a day ago...:b

Been out of town and just got back tonight to find you posted the confirmed PE~Madi 2"-Precision Port info "already".....

Thanks for the ~{early dimension info}~ Mark, saved some layout time for me, didn't cut yet tho!
Will make sure there's not an odd ball in any of them when they come!
The big 5-1/4" flares will just, and I mean just, fit with out custom trim work on the outer flares...

Cheers
Geoff

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
If you want more clearance, I used the non-flanged edges on the outside of my cabs and it works fine. Makes it so they only take up 4.25", so you get an extra inch of clearance. I did it like that because I think it looked better since I wasn't flush-mounting the flange. My cuts were off a little, 4 1/32" and 4 1/16" on the two cabs, but still worked fine (supposed to both be 4.0" but my router setup/jig was being screwy).

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Mark for the idea. I've already given the type/side/etc flare mounting some thought, and came up with that and a few other little tricks if needed.

Naturaly I would like the larger flare to the outside, but we'll see how it all works out and comes together once all the parts are here.

Never know, might end up that way, but then would have to trim on the larger inside flare due to the "forced port placement"!
Kind of a catch 22 "possibly" either flare way....

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.