What's new

Powering a nonpowerd sub 1st post of many (1 Viewer)

JeremySpoke

Auditioning
Allow me to introduce myself:
I'm Jeremy. Recently I was involved in a terrible car accident in which i totaled my WRX. I have decided to use my insurance money to finish my basement and turn it into a home theater. I am using a Sony VVega 36", undecided so far on my reciever, and Wharfedale Emerald / Diamonds all the way around (5 channels). Now here's my question:

I was able to salvage my JL Audio 10w0 (in a specially tuned JL bandpass box) and desperatly want to use this as my sub in my HT. But I need to power it.

I have an extra reciever, but I dont want to deal with constant volume adjustment, and its a bit underpowered. Should I rule this out?

Why are AC/DC converters considered so bad? I have only heard negitave things about rigging up a car amp in a home setting, so I plan to avoid this, but I would still like to know why its bad.

Last, where can I find a decent amp (mono 150-200 watt would be excellant)? Exploring e-bay, all the items seem to be either antiques (with antique prices) or very high end equipment (+$2500). This is how I want to go, but I need some advice on some brands and models to get me started.

Any and all advice on any topic I have mentioned (or have faid to) will be greatfully thanked. I like the atmosphere of this board, and look foward to your advice

TIA
jeremy

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I recall seeing a sub plate amp for $80 at Parts Express a few weeks ago.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I'm not a big fan of these plate amps most here would suggest- I tend towards professional sound reinforcement products. You could pickup any number of excellent professional stereo amplifiers (that can be bridged to mono for more power output) for the $250-$400 price range. On the cheap end: Peavey, Mackie, QSC's RMX line, Crown's CE line-- and then for slightly better stuff see the Ashly, Better QSC and Crown stuff.

I use Ashly FTX-2001 in my HT, its a powerhouse amplifier that sounds great and is even THX certified for theater use. I see them all the time for $300-350. Put out like 1100 watts bridged to mono.

-Vince

JeremySpoke

Auditioning
1100 watts is about 6 times what i need :)
I ordered the plate amp from parts express... ill see how it works out. after speaking with a friend who went to school for electronics, ive learned that AC/DC conversion is not only bad for tha amp, but could be deadly for the sub as well. That I'm not in the mood to risk. Thanks all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks