What's new

Power problems (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I have a 19" Trinitron monitor. I like to run it at 1280*1024 at 85hz. However the power in my house sucks. Whenever the furnace or dryer is on, my screen does this wild flickering (like visible jittering, not like low refresh flicker) in the lower left hand corner. If I drop my res so I can get up to a 100hz refresh rate it isn't as bad (but I miss my screen real state). Does anyone here know if something like this will or will not solve the problem?
Link Removed

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

A voltage corrector might do the trick- all depends on exactly why this is happening. It is probably due to voltage pull, but could be do to some sort of noise in the powerline from those items operating...

I would suggest picking up one of those boxes local, so you could return it easily if it makes no difference.

-Vince

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That's part of the problem, finding one local :frowning:
I'm also not sure how to read the specs. Would the 600 be enough for a tower, 19" monitor and a laser printer? Or would I have to get the 1200 one?

Dustin;

I would suggest that you invest in a UPS -- go to the PC connection web site-- This will save you a lot of headaces.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well doing a little more digging I found this response on another forum.

Another thing about UPS's. Some aren't true UPS's - some are SPS's -Standby Power Supplies. A true UPS is constructed so that the AC power is converted to DC, fed to the battery, and then that power is converted back into AC and given to the computer. That way, if the power cuts out, there is ZERO switching time, because no switching really occurs. In the more standard UPS, or rather, an SPS, the unit must actually switch from AC to DC when it senses that no current is flowing.
I do believe I want a true UPS. Anyone have any comments on the quote or recommendations for the cheapest true UPS that can power a 19" monitor and a 350 watt power supply?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I think what you probably need is a device called a power line conditioner. It maintains a constant 120 volt output over a wide input range (85-140). They are fairly expensive (approx $1 per watt but getting cheaper) and since they have a transformer inside they can usually only run continuosly at about 50% of their rating.

Some of the so-called UPSs are so wimpy that I laugh at them. Ours once ran our gateway/server and cable modem for 36 hours following a storm(monitor off).Most of the common ones will only run the system for a couple of mitutes.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Try Link Removed I am not related to the company in any shape or form other than being a happy customer for a number of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks