Power problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I have a 19" Trinitron monitor. I like to run it at 1280*1024 at 85hz. However the power in my house sucks. Whenever the furnace or dryer is on, my screen does this wild flickering (like visible jittering, not like low refresh flicker) in the lower left hand corner. If I drop my res so I can get up to a 100hz refresh rate it isn't as bad (but I miss my screen real state). Does anyone here know if something like this will or will not solve the problem?
    http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...CountryCode=WW

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dustin,

A voltage corrector might do the trick- all depends on exactly why this is happening. It is probably due to voltage pull, but could be do to some sort of noise in the powerline from those items operating...

I would suggest picking up one of those boxes local, so you could return it easily if it makes no difference.

-Vince

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

That's part of the problem, finding one local [​IMG]
    I'm also not sure how to read the specs. Would the 600 be enough for a tower, 19" monitor and a laser printer? Or would I have to get the 1200 one?

4. Dave Barretto

Dustin;

I would suggest that you invest in a UPS -- go to the PC connection web site-- This will save you a lot of headaces.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Are most UPSs also line conditioners though?

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well doing a little more digging I found this response on another forum.

7. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I think what you probably need is a device called a power line conditioner. It maintains a constant 120 volt output over a wide input range (85-140). They are fairly expensive (approx $1 per watt but getting cheaper) and since they have a transformer inside they can usually only run continuosly at about 50% of their rating.

Some of the so-called UPSs are so wimpy that I laugh at them. Ours once ran our gateway/server and cable modem for 36 hours following a storm(monitor off).Most of the common ones will only run the system for a couple of mitutes.

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Try www.apcc.com, I am not related to the company in any shape or form other than being a happy customer for a number of years.

9. Dave Barretto

Steve--[​IMG]
    The apc web site is www.apc.com
    Dustin -- this is a good source for information on UPS units. You can also call them with any questions you may have[​IMG]