What's new

Sony KD65X750H Prone to static or EMI??? (1 Viewer)

So this might seem a little out there, and honestly it's taken me a few days to even get this far in figuring out what might be possibly considering thinking about maybe be causing my problem, but.......

I just finished rearranging my entertainment stand which required routing and strapping a ton of cables to it (Ethernet, HDMI, power etc), this also corresponds with a blanket that we keep on our couch as a cover acting to charge me up a like a friggin capacitor every time I stand up, as such I've been getting severely shocked every time I stand up and touch my media center PC's case, and I mean seriously painful shocks.

I bring this up because it might be important.

I got everything wrapped up Friday and everything was working without issue. Before I decided to make this massive overhaul of my stand and equipment I had already been setting up a computer as a media center for about a week, and had already spent many hours using the computer (Computer>Receiver>TV through HDMI) and not had any problems.

Suddenly Saturday morning my TV began to randomly flicker off to black screen every few secs. but would stop if I was playing a game(??) and then eventually wouldn't display anything except it's home screen and I could play YouTube, Netflix etc, but absolutely nothing that came through the HDMI port. It's not my receiver as I initially thought.

Sunday I wake up hoping for the best, and the best happened....TV turned on and everything worked.....great! Throughout the day at random times I noticed the TV would flicker once, but generally was ok.
Then on into the evening things start acting up even more again, and it was at this point we noticed that the TV is flickering to black now every single time I stand up from the couch. Like as soon as I stand up the TV flickers off for a sec.

We continue using it and at some point it just outright fail again and won't display any signal, even the internet connection seemed to fail.
I managed to get it working again after doing a soft reset on the TV as per Sony's knowledgebase, and so far seems to be ok. I've removed the blanket from my couch for now, but I fear the TV has somehow become damaged?

Does anyone honestly know wtf is going on here because this is really really weird and I thought it was my receiver at first, but that doesn't seem to be the issue, nor do the HDMI cables.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would get a cotton blanket. They don't create electric charges.

I would get a cotton blanket. They don't create electric charges.
So I removed the blanket, and still noticed it flicker when I got up once.

The one thing that's been different that's never been here before is an ethernet cable running from my laptop, to an 8 port switch that the TV is also connected to.
On a whim I disconnected the ethernet cable (was only using it for transferring large files) and so far I haven't seen any problems.

my absolute best guess, and I do mean guess, at this point is that the ethernet cable was somehow sending some kind of signal or interference or *something* that was screwing up the TV......

That doesn't explain a LOT of things, and it's too early to tell right now. but so far, many hours of simple use and no problems.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It could be a ground loop, which was eliminated by removing the electrical connection between the two.

ok so here's more to the story lol. Since we live in a small apartment our TV is on the wall that also has a kitchen wall n the other side, and the kitchen light is approx 4 feet away from the TV, and roughly 2.5 feet above the TV, and when I turn the kitchen light off now the TV flickers off. It's a slightly older fluorescent light with a digital ballast I think, but again, turning it off creates a collapsing magnetic field.

How or why this would affect the TV is beyond me at this point but this is getting REALLY weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks