What's new

Trouble With My Sony Bravia TV (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Model #: KD-43X80J
It's a new TV, bought Jan.2022, though I didn't set it up until that summer, and about a week later I started to notice this odd "clarity rippling" best I can describe it that would come and go every so often, when it got worse several months later all I could do at that time was to reboot the TV, which help for a while, then yesterday it go a lot worse. It mostly starts on the news channels, then sometimes bleeds to the other channel. I've tried everything, fiddling with all the settings nothing seems to work. Is something too high? Too much contrast? Too something or another, but I've fiddle with all the adjustments and nothing's worked. Anyone else bump into a similar problem with a Sony Bravia?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My first thought is it’s over sharpening or some other processing. Make sure to turn off anything intended to “improve” the image, and set any sharpening to null, which is often at the center, but it varies by brand.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sorry you are having trouble with your Sony KD-43X90J LCD TV!

I also like JohnRice's recommendations!

Here's two more things to try. First is an overnight a/c recycle re-boot. The procedure is to unplug the TV and all devices connected to the TV overnight.

The very long unplugging ensures all of the capacitors will discharge all of their current, which will make the SoC processor lose their operating systems. When you reconnect the TV and all devices you can turn on the TV as you normally would, but do not press any other buttons on the TV or any of the connected devices as it will take a little longer to restart as the operating systems will be reloading.

If the long a/c recycle reboot does nto fix the issue we can try a full factor reset. Unfortunately this will also cause you to loose all of the original set-ups. So you will need to set-up your WiFi and any other Smart apps you may be using from the TV's streaming apps.

If these best practices do not fix the problem please call me and I'll try to help resolve this.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The very long unplugging ensures all of the capacitors will discharge all of their current, which will make the SoC processor loose their operating systems. When you reconnect the TV and all devices you can turn on the TV as you normally would, but do not press any other buttons on the TV or any of the connected devices as it will take a little longer to restart as the operating systems will be reloading.
That's new to me. I'd never heard that before. Is that common with components other than TVs?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, a long a/c recycle/reboot is the recommended process to try with any electronics that are not performing properly.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I decided to first try changing to another HDMI plug and another HDMI cord, no improvement. Tonight I'm gonna try the overnight rebooting Rob suggested and see if that does anything. Then if nothing works there, I'll try the factory reset. Thankfully these "anomalies" haven't plagued my movie watching on the blu-ray. I saw that anomaly once, ever so briefly, on the main menu after I loaded EDGE OF TOMORROW UHD, but that was last year; it hasn't happened again. It mostly affects my cable watching, probably because I have it on more. I only watch movie(s) at night. Oh, and, yeah, I've got my sharpness down to 50, the mid-point where it's marked.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I have a much, much older Sony Bravia that's now our bedroom TV. We connect to an outdoor antenna for our TV programming, and all was normal until perhaps the channel repacks and the start of some NextGenTv stations in the Tampa/Orlando corridor.

The TV is from around 2005 or 6. Nowadays when I change channels, some of them don't want to show up at all. Some will say "Audio Only", and some just disappear even from scans.

Any ideas? Is my tuner now too old?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
UPDATE# #2: This might be a sharpness problem, like John theorized. Turning it down to the midpoint (50 on this TV) didn't do anything, so I turned it down to 5, and I saw a tiny, tiny distortion; the smallest I've ever seen with my problem here, so I turned it down to 0, and so far no anomalies. The picture quality is still clear though, something I was worried about, if I turned it essentially off. All other picture affecting adjustments were turned OFF already. Still gonna do the long reboot Rob suggested tonight though, just to be on the safe side.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
UPDATE #3: Nope, not a sharpness problem. Did a factory reset and problem is still there. I see Sony Bravia's have a tendency to have "image problems" and this might just be a defect. I don't know. I think this is only going to be solved when I replace the TV in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks