No sound out of my Bravia home theatre!!!!

silverwater006

Auditioning
Real Name
Harshad
Hello,
Never really tried posting on forums but I'm hoping someone can help!!
Just upgraded my sound system to a 5.1 Sony Blu-ray and connected it to my existing Bravia (KDL-32CX520).
Had absolutely no trouble with the sound until around 2 days ago when I suddenly lost all sound from the TV to the home-theatre speakers :(
The follwing's what I've already tried and it HAS NOT worked :(
1) I thought there was a problem with my optical cable so got it changed ... no luck
2) Tried connecting my TV and the the Blu-Ray player using an analogue audio-cable (Thought there was an issue with my Optical port) ..STILL NO LUCK!!!
3) Reset both TV and the Blu-ray player to factory settings ..disconnected the blu-ray player off the mains and turned it on again..used both analogue and digital audio connections...NO LUCK!
4) When I'm playing anything directly via the Blu-ray player (for example FM or my IPod._the speakers work perfectly (as the HDMI connection's being used)..
5).. I'm going to take my blu-ray player along with my Optical and analogue cable to the shop I got it from to check there's nothing wrong with it or has something gone wrong with my TV's sound (coz the TV speakers work perfectly)
Does anybody have a clue of what might have happened?
THANKS!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Model number of this sound system...(cause if this is a craptastic HTiB, Sony has made a couple of hundred different versions)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One thing you can try...
According to Sony Asia(first place I found for that model number)...the TV has three audio outputs...
Optical
Analog(red/white)
Headphone.
Does your audio system(which is???) have analog inputs?
(basically need to determine...does the optical on the TV work? Did the optical input in the "audio system" die? Did the internal switching of the "audio system" die?)

silverwater006

Auditioning
Real Name
Harshad
I have a feeling the optical output on the TV's died .. Like i said I did use a standard analogue connection (red/white)...the BDV-E690 does have a red-white analogue input ...and it still didn't work ...........
I plugged in the headphone and the sound's perfect out of that ...so its probably the switching that's an issue
I've just shut down the TV off the mains hoping this should reset the problem

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your audio system does have an analog input...
There will be ZERO difference between using digital over analog...
So, to make sure the audio system hasn't coughed up a lung...
Connect something analog(phone, your TV...something) to see if that still works.
Once that is confirmed to work, then we know the internal switching still works. While doing that...
Is there a red light being emitted from the TV? (from the optical port...which you can see from the "other end" of the optical cable or by, briefly, staring into the back of the TV)
By the way...nobody got into the TV menu and turned off the audio output????

silverwater006

Auditioning
Real Name
Harshad
Well I did try connecting the TV with the BluRay player using the analogue cable
and no ..it DID NOT work .. :(
THere IS a red light coming out of my TV yes (or at the other end of the optical cable when I connect it with my TV).
Hence I'm not sure what's gone wrong :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In audio, there should be options for "external audio" (I'd have to go find/download the manual...but EVERY TV pretty much works the same way)...
Once you find "external audio" (may just say audio output)
You'll have choices like...Dolby Digital, PCM...fixed/variable...and so on.
Come back when you find "that" and tell us how that stuff is set.

silverwater006

Auditioning
Real Name
Harshad
Ok..
So I got into my audio settings (After turning my TV back on)....there's just two options...'PCM or Auto' (when the audio out is set to the 'Audio System')
I've left it at Auto
(Of course I've disconnected the Blu-Ray player completely so will reconnect it now to see if anything's changed)

silverwater006

Auditioning
Real Name
Harshad
Allright this is what I did..
I reconnected everything using my optical cable...
went into my TV sound settings and the following's what's been setup..
the Speaker setting's set to 'Audio System'
Headphone/Audio Out's set to Headphones
Digital Audio Out is set to 'Auto' (Instead of PCM)
Still no respite :(
The optical cable does emit a light yes and there's a red pulse at the back of my TV from the optical jack...

silverwater006

Auditioning
Real Name
Harshad
And yes I'll just clarify again that the only time there's sound coming off the speakers is when I'm playing something directly off the blu-ray player (as I guess the HDMI cable's being used in that setting)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena