What's new

Poll : Favorite Last Scene (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
An honest to goodness poll for you all.
Watching Monsters Inc., I was treated to a classic and perfect final scene. I won't ruin it for those that haven't seen it, so, I'll spoiler tag it (and I would ask that you all do the same).
With just a simple off camera "Kitty", Sully lights up like a Christmas tree. Image
What are some of your favorite final scenes? Try to keep it to the final frames of a movie and not so much an entire last scene.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The endings of Heat, Goodfellas, Braveheart, LOTR:FOTR (less of an ending than a continuation), Unforgiven, The Big Lebowski, T2: Judgment Day...um yeah, I'll shut up now.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Big surprise here, but one of, if not the, favorites of mine has to be from The Princess Bride.
The very end where Fred says, "Maybe you can come back and read it to me again tomorrow Grandpa." And Peter responds with, "As you wish."

Classic.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
The Hustler sports not only a dynamite final scene, but also a perfect closing image:
George C. Scott's Burt Gordon sitting alone on the steps of the now-vacant pool hall, with the film's title superimposed; thus providing an ironic twist upon its meaning.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know I'm on a bit of a Titus kick lately, but the final scene of that movie is about as good as I've ever seen.
A Three Minute shot of young Lucius carrying the baby out of the Coliseum and into the rising sun. Absolutely, Remarkably, F***ing Stunning!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OH yeah, another of my recent favorites, The Man Who Wasn't There.
Ed's final thoughts as he is led down the hallway and to the electric chair, with the camera panning across the faces of the observers. I love that final line and the fade out. Just a beautiful film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Norman Bates looking towards camera, smiling his face subliminally dissolving into the skull of his mother than a dissolve to the car being pulled from the swamp, Bernard Herrmann's ominous music in the background...

Zooming into the black monolith, the Earth, the Starchild coming into view, turning toward us, Richard Strauss classic music in the background...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not sure I have a favorite, but I like the end of Brazil, where
We realize that Sam Lowery’s escape, demolition of the ‘Ministry of Information’ and a dream life with the perfect girl is only that: the dream of a man gone mad.

Another that no one has mentioned are the final shots of Citizen Kane where we see the collected treasures of Kane being catalogued, crated or destroyed by those who are indifferent to any of items in the collection. I find it more satisfying to see again at the end, those items that we have seen assembled during the film. By now, the final shot of the burning sled has lost some of its impact, but the remainder of the ending retains its strength.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
The Shawshank Redemption.

I get a chill when The warden opens the shoe box to find Andy's Shoes Just as the escape alarm Goes off Love that scene. Finding the Tunnel behind the big poster. the look on the wardens face is Priceless

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The one that immediately comes to mind is the incredible last shot in The 400 Blows:
The film's famous final shot, a zoom in to a freeze frame, shows him looking directly into the camera. He has just run away from a house of detention, and is on the beach, caught between land and water, between past and future. It is the first time he has seen the sea. Little is done in the film for pure effect. Everything adds to the impact of the final shot. (quoted from Roger Ebert)

This one can't be beat, in my opinion!

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
Raiders of the Lost Ark - It's the perfect end to the movie. The ominous ark them plays, and then blends into the Raiders March as the credits roll...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have another one.
Wild Strawberries
When he sees his parents

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Godfather Shutting the door on Kay

Some Like It Hot Nobody's Perfect

Dr. Strangelove Nuclear annilahation to the tune of We'll Meet Again

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid freeze frame while the barrage of bullets continues

Vertigo the ending on top of the tower, not the radio broadcast tag added for foreign censorship

And many, many more.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Lady Eve
Positively the same dame!

Ordet
Too great to even use a spoiler tag

Bob Le Flambeur
Again, don't want to even tempt someone who hasn't seen it. Possibly the best heist movie ending ever.

The Blue Angel
The professor slumped across his desk, destroyed by his passion for a woman who he should have avoided, but could not

Fox And His Friends
Fox savaged by the entire world for daring to dream and to love. Discarded by the upper class when he is no longer of use to them, he finds no escape even in death, as little thieves/vultures appear to take even his clothes/pick at his bones.

Paths of Glory
Let them have 5 more minutes, Sergeant

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Exotica
Final Fantasy
Manhattan
Rocky
Nights of Cabiria
Iron Giant
Ordinary People
Third Man
The Graduate
Being There

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks