What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Last Action Hero (1993) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
last2.jpg

SYNOPSIS
Young Danny Madigan (Austin O'Brien) is a lonely 11-year-old boy who escapes from his bleak reality by watching the action adventure movies of his favorite film character, Jack Slater (Arnold Schwarzenegger). When his best friend, Nick the projectionist, gives him a special ticket to the new Slater film, Danny is magically transported into Jack's world, where the good guys always win. Danny becomes his helper as Jack battles a trio of nefarious bad guys, Benedict (Charles Dance), Vivaldi (Anthony Quinn) and The Ripper (Tom Noonan). But things get out of hand when Benedict steals Danny's magic ticket stub and transports himself into the real world, where crime can, and often does, pay. Jack and Danny must leave fictional Los Angeles for real-life New York and battle the villains without the aid of movie magic or stuntmen.

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIAL
4K ULTRA HD DISC
Newly remastered in 4K resolution from the original camera negative, with HDR10
All-new Dolby Atmos audio + the original theatrical SDDS mix presented as 5.1 + original theatrical stereo audio
Audio Commentary with Director John McTiernan
Deleted & Alternate Scenes (presented in 4K with HDR10)
Alternate Ending (presented in 4K with HDR10)
“Big Gun” Music Video by AC/DC
Original Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
Theatrical Teaser
SET ALSO INCLUDES BLU-RAY & DIGITAL

*From a 2019 SPHE fan poll and over 30,000 responses, LAST ACTION HERO was the most selected movie when participants were asked to choose from a list of possible 4K UHD disc releases.

CAST AND CREW
Directed By: John McTiernan
Story By: Zak Penn & Adam Leff
Screenplay By: Shane Black & David Arnott
Producers: Steve Roth and John McTiernan
Executive Producer: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, F. Murray Abraham, Art Carney, Charles Dance, Frank McRae, Tom Noonan, Robert Prosky, Anthony Quinn, Mercedes Ruehl, Austin O’Brien

SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 131 minutes
Rating: PG-13 for strong action sequences
Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.39:1
Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA | English Stereo Surround DTS-HD MA | French (PAR), Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No offense to those that like this movie, but, it's a strange choice considering so many other titles would have made a better selection in my opinion especially considering it's a "Limited Edition Steelbook" release.
It was apparently selected based on fan votes:

*From a 2019 SPHE fan poll and over 30,000 responses, LAST ACTION HERO was the most selected movie when participants were asked to choose from a list of possible 4K UHD disc releases.

Not sure why it took almost two years to arrive if the poll was conducted in 2019.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Based on how frequently it’s been released on every physical media format since it’s initial release, it must sell consistently. I’m surprised but after underperforming in theaters it played so much on cable that there must be an audience that’s nostalgic for it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Based on how frequently it’s been released on every physical media format since it’s initial release, it must sell consistently. I’m surprised but after underperforming in theaters it played so much on cable that there must be an audience that’s nostalgic for it.
That has to be the case.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Isn't John McTiernan still in jail for that phone tapping thing?

Also the original mix on this was actually 7.1, not 5.

EDIT: Apparently he's been out since 2014. Lack of news I guess.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I like the movie, not sure I need the 4K. I don’t remember dinosaurs in the movie.
IIRC, there’s a scene that takes place by the la brea tar pits. After fully submerged in the tar Arnie just wipes it off with a small towel. “You know, tar usually sticks to people.”

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Other than a brilliant "Arnold as Hamlet" sequence -- "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and Hamlet is taking out the trash!" -- it's a dreary watch of a film.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Not sure why the need to pound on this movie.
Clearly there are many who like it. Including me.
It’s fun. It pokes fun at all the Hollywood action movie stereotypes.

I got it in iTunes recently for $5.
If the extras don’t port I’ll buy the disc once it goes to a normal price.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got it as a free digital copy when I first joined either Vudu or Ultraviolet so I’m probably good. But I also enjoy it. It’s not rocket science but it’s a fun poke at all the stuff that was front and center in the pop culture when I was growing up. I love the bit where they visit the video store and Stallone is in all the famous Arnie posters.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
On one day of filming of this movie in LA City I was the Fire Safety Officer. It was the day that Arnold was not there but his double was...and I mean double, no CGI then.

It was the scene where a ton of bullets was fired at the convertible he was riding in. Most of the crew, during that shot, had to be treated for eye irritation, from all the machinegun gun powder smoke...including me!

This double was the mirror image of Arnold, except from below the nose down. They put a lip and chin prosthetic on his face for that and at a distance it was Arnold...wild!

Fun to remember those days...

Last edited:

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Sigh. I don't even particularly like this movie, but I find myself repeatedly trying to give it another chance. I will probably buy this.

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Also, Ron, the movie's title is just Last Action Hero, not The Last Action Hero, FYI.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sigh. I don't even particularly like this movie, but I find myself repeatedly trying to give it another chance. I will probably buy this.
I kinda have the opposite take. I saw this in the theater when I was a kid and really liked it but I'm hesitant to buy this disc because I doubt it's as good as I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Strubdog