What's new
World Wide Stereo

Polk PSW202 for $100 but.... (3 Viewers)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
I managed to guilt trip Circuit City into selling me a Polk PSW202 for $100 (they screwed up on other non-audio products)but in my haste to snap up the Sub-Woofer I did not realize it was a 50 watts sub until I got it home. I'm assuming that it will still be okay since I'm entering in to home theater at the low end and ususally do not crank up movies too much in the 18' X 16' foot room.

My receiver is rated 100 watts but I am assuming since the Polk has its own amplifier that I do not have to worry too much. Can I damage the 50 watt sub-woofer with a 100 watt receiver, assuming that I will never crank the thing more that half-way.

So, with a 50 watt Polk subwoofer for $100, do I have a "bargain" or something I will regret (Have not hooked it up yet, still in box)???????

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
IMO that's alot of room for that sub to fill. I'd return it and use the credit to get something with a little more power and a larger speaker.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
You realize they are giving those away free with the purchase of $500 or more in Polk speakers?

Crutchfield has the same deal (or they will give you a $200 credit, so I hear).

That sub is extremely anemic, I wouldn't use it in my PC speaker system. But that's just IMHO...

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I am aware of the Crutchfield deal. Since I actually like the sound my cheap $20 PC sub-woofer, I'm counting on being happy via my speaker/audio illiteracy ;)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Finally hooked it up, lots of pops...defective. Returned and got refund, will go with my passive subwoofer and then order the Dayton.

Steve*W

Agent
Sounds about right. I work at Futureshop and we went through 4-5 of those things in 2 months. Can't handle anything. We dont even have it hooked it up anymore.

John S

Senior HTF Member
There is a nice Sony 12" Sub, that goes for around $140 at like B&H Video (or something like that), it gets labled as a way over achiever by owners alot.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I already posted my experience w/ my PSW202 in the PSW303 thread - but I'll just copy and paste my reply. :emoji_thumbsup:

- - - - - - - - - -

I had a PSW202 before and it was really disappointing. The 202s and 303s often get bundled up with Polk packages anyways so if you're going to spend $130 on a sub, you might want to look into spending $400 or $500 (depending on the offer given) and get the Polk sub for free.

My issue with the 202 was that it was very slow (so it didn't blend very well) and fatiguing. I can't really give you any more info than that - and I don't have a medium reference point for you because after that experience, I quickly sold it and acquired an SVS. It's definitely the difference between two extremes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks