What's new

Looking for input on my Sub options.. (1 Viewer)

RayMan

Grip
I am finally looking into getting a sub. If anyone has any experience with the following subs, or knows I should stay away from any certain one please let me know. The room is under 200sq/ft. These are my options as of now.I would like to stay small and $200. and under, most of these are, a couple are about $300. I couldn't find much info on Athena, and Celestion besides they have been around a while just not in the US for long?

TIA!;)
Ray

Yamaha - 8" 120-Watt Powered Subwoofer
YST-SW215

Celestion - SoundStyle 8" 100W Powered Subwoofer
S20

Celestion - 8" 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer
S80DA

Athena Technologies - 8" 300-Watt Powered Subwoofer
AS-P300

Polk 10" 50 watt PSW202

polk 8" 100 watt PSW303

Yamaha - Digital Pro Series 10" 270-Watt Subwoofer - Black
YST-SW315

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I've heard things about the Polks.

I've heard the Athena, on the other hand, and it has a LOT of kick for an 8". Easy to overdrive in a large room, but a perfect match in a smaller room. I'd also second the HSU STF recommendation. That would be a good choice. HSUs are high quality, just in general.

RayMan

Grip
The polks 202, seem to have alot of issues with the amps going out. I think Im going to listen to the polk 303 and the athena tommorow.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I personally don't like the Polks, very boomy subs.

If I were you I'd look into getting the Dayton 10" from partsexpress.com (known as Tiny Mighty II on this forum). For your budget, you could get 2 Tiny Mighty IIs for $250, one for the left and one for the right. I think even a single Dayton 10" would be as good, if not better, than most of the subs you've listed.

RayMan

Grip
Just talked to a friend at a local chain, (where i happen to have a $200. Gift card) I can get a JBL NRE150P. for $210. or the yamaha YSTSW315 for $170. Any input on these? He likes the JBL

Kernel X

Grip
The Onkyo TX-DS777 is a great receiver, I have the Integra DTR-7. If you are more concerned with watching movies I would go with a sub that has a 12" driver and at least 100 watts opposed to an 8" one. It should fill the room easily. 10" drivers are fine also, especially with music, nice tight bass. Get a sub that has all the connections you need, for example, I would make sure it has a LFE/bypass connection so you can use the filter in your receiver. Your receiver was intended to be used that way to get the best performance...Happy hunting and good luck!

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I personally had a Polk PSW202. Someone above stated that it was a "boomy" sub. If I had the cross over set to 120Hz it sounded great. For $200 it was a great sub, no issues with the amp going out. I had some extra money to burn so I finally went with an SVS.

RayMan

Grip
I have to go listen to the jbl, I went to best buy to listen to the athena, the halfassed way they have there stuff set up made it pretty much useless.. Have to say the athena bookshelfs sounded real good though.

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
This is my 00.02
Of all the subs that you have mentioned, i can give you my opinion on two of then.

1) Yamaha - Digital Pro Series 10" 270-Watt Subwoofer - Black
YST-SW315 . I Auditioned this sub at a local retailer. I wasn't that impressed. U-571 was playing (depth charge scene). I love Yamaha, but IMO they are not known for making very good subs. It sounded alot better with music than it did with Movies. The salesmen had to keep turning down the gain (because it was bottoming out) so far until you really didn't notice it at all.

2) Dayton 10" Down firing 100w Sub.
This is what sits in my 12x16x8 living room right now. I could buy two Dayton's for the same price as the above mentioned Yammy. I live in Canada, and the Yammy was $299.00 up here. Back to the Dayton, I love this little guy. It really performs better than i thought it would. For the $$$ you can't beat it. I am considering getting another one for the other corner of my HT. The bass is deep and clean, and can be felt given the right scene. For an entry level sub i am very happy with it. If you are expecting earth shaking bass you might be dissapointed, but only spending 125.00 you are going to get double that as far as performance

I hope this helps...
Curt

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
My mistake....... just noticed it. I auditioned the Yamaha - 8" 120-Watt Powered Subwoofer
YST-SW215 not the 10" 270 watt,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks