Are Polk Audio Speakers Any Good?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kage, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

I called Crutchfield to change my Infinity Entra Point 5 HTS Speaker Package that I ordered late Friday evening. The speakers that I changed from the Infinity Point 5 HTS are Polk Audio. The Polk Audio speaker models are:
    Polk Audio RTi38 (pair) was $379.99 reduced to $249.99
    Polk Audio FXi30 (pair) was $379.99 reduced to $249.99
    Polk Audio CSi30 was $199.99 reduced to $149.99

Also Crutchfield had promotion a free Polk Audio PSW202 subwoofer ($199.99 value) or a credit of $199.99 towards the purchase of $499.99 of Polk Audio speakers. The total price came to $449.98 with the $199.99 subwoofer credit and a $50 merchandise credit.

I hope the these Polk Audio Speakers sound good on my Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver and better than old speakers that came with my Yamaha YHT-100 HTIB, that I bought a couple of months ago.

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I dont like them, but then again a lot of people do. What you need to do is go listen to them.

3. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

I think you may want to upgrade those fronts to the newer RTis or the LSi series eventually. But that center and rears, IMO, are very nice. That sub....[​IMG] You paid for what its worth. Good luck.

4. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Hey Justin, I'm thinking about upgrading my Polk R50 towers to RTi6s. Do they work well for mains? Does the CSi30 match them ok? I have the R20s as my rears right now: Do the R15s work well in your system? Assumably, so would the R20s? Sorry for all the ? but your setup looks very similar to mine.

5. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

The reason why I did not need the subwoofer is that I have a more powerful subwoofer already. The model of my subwoofer is the Yamaha YST-SW305.

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I own LSI series speakers, and they were chosen from among Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, and Boston Acoustics,Rockets,when I did my audition "circle".I think they are one of the best bargain around for how they perform.Can't comment on the RT series.

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

LSis are a totally different monster than the R series or the RTi series.

I would say that it would just be better not to ask about your own speakers since if you like them, then you'll be happier with them over a longer period of time. Asking beforehand is just asking for upgraditis.

8. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I use a pair of RTi25 bookshelves for my surround backs. I think the RTi line is very good for the money.

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Polk RTi = excellent value and a great sounding speaker. They respond very well to a high quality AVR. If you can buy the CSi40 for only $20-$50 more (in some CC locations), do so.

The RTi is head and shoulders above the R series, and not far behind the LSi; it's definitely the performance value in the Polk line-up.

While the LSi IS better sounding, it costs way more and is also pretty finicky about amps, having a difficult to drive impedance (4 ohm nominal, but dropping lower at some frequencies). The LSi almost requires outboard high-current amplification along the lines of Outlaw, Adcom, Carver, B&K, Rotel, etc. In comparison, the RTi is much easier to drive with the typical high quality AVR.

Be aware you are getting close-out prices on the "old" RTi because the new RTi series (with the new Vifa dome tweet) is now in production. Don't confuse the new Vifa dome tweet in the new RTi series with the Vifa ring tweet in the LSi series.

Ed

10. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Yep, nothing wrong with good ol' Polk. I love mine, but be sure to audition anything you plan to buy. Everyone is different.

11. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Well this is my 1st post. As I have been lurking in here for almost 1 yr and been in the car/home audio and speaker rebuilding industry for 15 yrs

I just want all you people that are starting H/T to understand Something about speakers.

You cannot let someone tell you what is the best and so on.
    You must listen to them and others and decide what sounds best to you. There your ears use then!!

And so you all know

As matter of fact i cannot think of a speaker that is complete manufatured and built in the states or anywhere else for that matter. All the parts from baskets cones magnets surrounds all come from Tiawan or Japan.

12. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Actually doesn't Paradigm make all their own stuff?

13. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Steve Paradiam orders there raw drivers from Tiawan and Japan to there specs. Then when they get a container of drivers they asseemble load there cabneits Then they put a sticker on the back that say built in Canada.

14. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

See above. Enjoy! Let me know how it turns out!

15. Mark Un

Mark Un Auditioning

My two cents worth. I have RTi38's for fronts, RTi28's rear, the CSi30 center and took the free PSW202. The set sounds great!. I have the Onkyo 601 receiver. For the money, an outstanding value.[​IMG]I'm not an audiophile, and if you look at other posts, I agree that if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters! The sub may not be the best out there, may be not as forcefull as others, but then again, with the price difference, I can live with it and can always upgrade in the future if I decide to.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I've run Polks for years. I currently have RT55's and a CS400 up front with AB755 inwalls for surrounds. The build quality is excellent, price is even better and their CS is beyond excellent. All my Polks are feed with Adcom amps and I love the sound for both HT and 2-Channel.

I can't comment on their subs as I had Velodyne and then eventually built my own.

I doubt I'll ever switch to another line of speaker.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so very true ... i wish more people remembered that.

if it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters. you should audition as many speakers as you can, then you can make an educated choice.

fwiw, i also have the rt series paired with a yamaha 5590 receiver. love how it sounds.

18. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Luitz, I dunno, look at this link.

Insert the http, www, and .html
    paradigm.com/Website/R%26D/RandD/Factory_Tour

They may purchase the driver MATERIALS from other places, but they make their components in their own factory.

19. Michael Patrick

I love Polk speakers. Its true though, it is an individual thing about what sounds good to you. I have learned a lot reading posts and have tried to use that information as well as my ears to make a decision as to what I like. I used to have Bose and thought that they were a godsend to sound. I do know one thing, when auditioning speakers do it one against one each time. It will make any differences pos. or neg. easier to hear or feel. If you get Polks I agree with others here that the RTi line is better than the RT and R line. I have RT25i and RT15i that are wonderful. Good luck and have fun with it.

20. Kamal_G_B

Kamal_G_B Auditioning

howsit
    had a listen to the RTi8's and 10's! just bought the ONKYO 601 AVR, and thinking of matching it up with the RTi10, CSi5 and RTi'6 (for surrounds)- the soundstaging is wuite good- clear and effective highs- the RTi10 produce warmer and lower lows than the RTi8- POLK subs suck, so don't waste ur time........ in fact, didn't think i would ever say this, but i'd prefer a Bose sub compared to a Polk's sub!!! there i said it!

had a listen to these so far- now gonna compare them to Paradigm and Dyneaudio next week!
    later