What's new

plywood for speaker? (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on building the adire kit81's and have some 3/4 oak veneered plywood. It was $67 a sheet and looks like it has no voids. Could I use this or is it a bad idea?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
While it worked well for my small sub with heavy cross-bracing and very small spans, I think you're much better off with MDF for a full-range application. In my experience with it, I think that oak ply would resonate fairly high, which is ok, even desireable, for a sub, but might seriously color the output of the Adire kit.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Go for it. Good bracing will solve most if not all your resonation problems. You may also want to spray the inside of the box with dynashield or a similar mass loading spray. I have also had fairly good luck with a few layers of rubberized undercoating which can be had cheap at any auto parts store.

KevinMcL

Agent
I second the undercoating idea. It makes a box seem much more solid, without affecting the internal volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks