What's new

Please help me clear things up! (1 Viewer)

NeilKn

Grip
Geoff, the TV is inside a big hole in the entertainment center. The center channel speaker sits on top of the TV. Scenerio #2. However, one of the first suggestions we ran into was to swap speakers to eliminate the speaker itself as a possible cause. In fact, that was Onkyo's technical support that advised doing so. So we took the original Onkyo right and left channels and set them in front of the entertainment center and TV, completely outside the enclosure, and connected the center channel wires to them ... one by one of course. The muffled sound continued, despite the different speakers, and their being outside the enclosure.

In future tries with the Klipsch center, the JBL N-Center, and the JBL S-Center, we first tried each sitting on top of the entertainment center, and also sitting on a wooden snack tray sitting in front of the TV mainly for ease in swapping them around ... but also to note how they sounded when out in the open. The N-Center provided a reasonably clear sound, more so than the Onkyo's. We liked the Klipsch, but it was a bit too bright for our taste, though clearer than the rest. The S-Center sounded even better than the N-Center (to be expected), almost as clear as the Klipsch, but a touch warmer, and we decided to go with it. The S-Center now resides on top of the TV, in the enclosure. It sits with its forward surface just forward of the TV screen, its back raised up on a rubber door stopper to point it directly at our ear level where we sit. It provides, as such, a clear dialog, no actors trying to eat the mic's.

Thank you though for your input. Also, to add a bit further though ... we found that with the same speakers, same setup, the Yamaha 630 provided a clear dialog, but was a bit too bright for our taste. The Onkyo 600 and the Denon 1803 were a close match, but we preferred the Denon's sounds, and features a bit more. We felt that the Denon offered a bit more in the way of individual user adjustments than the Onkyo, not by much, but it was a tad more adjustable. The Onkyo, on the other hand, was a bit easier to set up, less hassle, as there was a bit more handled automatically. We liked the way the Denon remembered the previous settings for each mode, where-as the Onkyo went back to normal .... such as individual channel adjustments in different modes.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Ok great,
Good to know you took the speaker out of the pocket lets call it, and out in the open. Im sure you noticed that this did affect the sound though obviously didn't fix it for the (Onkyo Center) set up..
Glad you found something/the combo/ that works for you, Center~Receiver and total system wise!
Sounds like you got it finally under control shall we say, excellent! :)
Enjoy you hard earned work..;)
Geoff

NeilKn

Grip
Geoff, thank you ... and also all those who helped us get there. I made a slight change to the previous post at Debbie's request. Regarding the Klipsch center, and her reminder about how it rated. It's rather amazing that we have learned a whole new vocabulary, and feel part of a whole new world now. And a shame that our downstairs neighbor is handicapped and can't make it up the stairs so that we may invite them up, cut loose, and really see what it can do some night without getting kicked out of our theater :) Oh well, it still provides more entertainment value, and a much better DVD experience than we had previously.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Neil and Debbie,
How do you like the Denon overall? How does it perform in HT and 2 channel music? I think I'm going to get one after Christmas, but am still not quite sure. :)

Debbie K

Grip
Jeff,

We really like the Denon so far. I don't know if I could tell a big difference in HT performance between any of the receivers we tried, they all sound good as far as that goes, with the exception of the clarity. I think the Yamaha we tried was the clearest, but I found it kinda "lacking" something sound wise. It was hard to decide tho, because it was really nice and clear. I can see why people would like them.

As far as music goes though, that's a different story. I could tell a big difference in sound between the receivers. The Denon sounded the best of the ones we tried. "Richer" sounding or I guess "warmer" you could say. I am sure there are receivers which sound even better for music (HK comes to mind) but for us, this is a really nice balance of clarity and warmth.

I think if you get it, you will be happy!

Debbie

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Neil and Debbie,
First off, welcome to both of you! And Neil, I have to admit to a bit of jealousy here...Debbie actually encourages you to go out and buy/audition speakers? She admits to hearing a difference with different components/speakers?
I should be so lucky! ;) My wife's only comment when I last brought home new speakers? "You like those? I think they're funny looking." I put on her favorite CD, and I get "that sounds the same as the old speakers." I turn up the SW Pod Race, and what do I get? "Turn it down!":rolleyes
...yep, you're one lucky guy! :)
But on to the subject at hand: Earlier in the thread you mentioned DSPs, and that you had trouble finding the right setting, so I wanted to give you some advice on the topic....Debbie has probably researched all this already, so forgive me if this is redundant:
I have a Yamaha RX-V2200, and as an earlier post mentioned, the love-affair with the DSPs wears off very quickly—you were correct in discounting DSPs in your purchasing decision. Had I to do it over again, I would go with a Denon.
You mentioned that you like good clarity in the center channel—me too. The following are the modes I would recommend you try out for each source:
Dolby PLII Movie (Pro Logic II)
Use this for any analog video/tv watching. That means cable TV, VHS, or any other video source recorded in stereo (N64, Playstation 1, as well).
Dolby PLII Music
While most would argue that CDs should be played in stereo only, I find this mode makes for some very enjoyable listening as well. Try this one for music videos on TV too! Note, if you do listen to your CDs in stereo, try the Processor Direct mode…
Never use Dolby Pro Logic (i.e. the original, which has been updated byt the II version).
Dolby Digital (DD)
Anything plugged in using your digital (coax or optical) connection. Includes recent CD players, DVD players etc…
DTS
Many people are unaware that they have to set the DVDs audio track to DTS in the movie's main menu if they want to hear it. While the Dolby Digital versus DTS debate rages on, you will likely hear a real difference between the two, and develop your own preferences.
Again, I apologize if this is all redundant to you!
Derek

NeilKn

Grip
Thank you, Derek. Actually, it was all Debbie's idea right from the start. Our 18 Year old Zenith was biting the dust and we needed a replacement. Debbie was into the surround system the whole time. My major contribution / difficulty... was convincing her that 32 inches was NOT too big. She finally agreed to it over the 27" sets we were looking at to replace the old 27" set. Debbie was the one who wanted to do smart shopping, and experiment with different receivers and speakers. I was being the "guy" on that end ... "Find what looks good and buy it!". She has no reservations about returning items that do not meet her fancy, and trying something else to see if it does.
Debbie has found in her experimenting that the Dolby PL II Cinema provided the best sound for regular TV shows. I can't say what she plays the CD's in though. My CD experience is mostly in the car on the one hour drive to and from work. Nothing like a good CD to soothe the savage breast when one is stuck in traffic and starting to get a touch of road rage :) Especially some Canadian Barrage, makes you forget where you are as you drift into the beautiful music they play.
We have found DTS to have the best separation and strongest sound effects. The reciever does auto switch to the Dolby DD on receipt of the digital signal, and goes right into DTS when we select such from the DVD's menu, when available; with of course the DVD player set as the input signal.

NeilKn

Grip
Hahaha Jeff .... When I get stuck in gridlock I sure do .... and to correct any who still think the saying goes "Music soothes the savage beast" ... it really is "Music soothes the savage breast" :wink: really .. the below is quoted from a trivia quiz answer page:

"12. Who wrote "Music soothes the savage beast"?

Answer: Its a misquote from Shakespeare. It should be "Music soothes the savage breast."

NeilKn

Grip
That's it ... we ARE done, complete, have the system we are sticking with .. all the final pieces. The Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer was the final step. The bags of fiberfill are sitting behind me, under my office desk, and will go into the subwoofer this coming weekend. The final system is:

Denon 1803
JBL S-Center
JBL N38II floorstanding 3-way fronts
JBL N24II Bookshelf surrounds
Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer
Radio Shack analog DSL meter (all-important)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks