What's new

Please help. I can't get surround sound for TV or Satelite . (1 Viewer)

leoniey

Auditioning
Real Name
leonie
I have connected my sound system to my TV but I cannot get surround sound when I want to watch TV or use my Satelite.
When I watch Blu Ray discs and normal DVD's the surround sound works.
I have connected an Optical Digital Audio Cable as well as the standard audio cables. The HDMI cable is connected to the TV in one end and the other is in the OUT port that says (ARC AV OUT) underneath.
If it helps my TV is a Panasonic Plasma TV (Viera) ST50A series, TH-P65ST58
The sound system is a Panasonic Blu-Ray Disck Home Theatre Sound System, SC-BTT790

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum :)
Not all channels or programming will be in surround sound. I would disconnect the standard audio cables for now and just use the optical input, this will ensure that you have the correct cable when surround sound is available. Did you verify your cable box is set up to output surround sound? Did you read your Panasonic Home Theater Sound System owners manual, specifically page 37?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since you bought a HTiB you only have one optical port.
You'll never have 5.1 off the satellite anyway since no TV(anymore that I've seen) outputs 5.1 from any source other than its own tuner.
Also, you have to TURN ON Dolby Digital in the TV to get 5.1 off the tuner for OTA.
Otherwise you have to use DPL in your HTiB, if it has DPL.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, if you get tired of 2.0 off your sat box...
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28734-Explorer-Selector/dp/B0002OF2FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349179700&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+switch

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
schan1269 said:
You'll never have 5.1 off the satellite anyway since no TV(anymore that I've seen) outputs 5.1 from any source other than its own tuner..
Lots of shows broadcast in 5.1 surround. I think most of them are on the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) and premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc.).
You need to make sure the sat box is set to output audio as "Dolby Digital".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks