What are some good 4:3 plasma screens?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm looking for a flat-panel television for my masterbedroom that will serve primarily as a medium for watching TV shows/series on DVD.

I just moved into a new condo and already have an HT setup with DLP projection in the livingroom which I use to screen all theatrical films on DVD, so now I'm looking for a monitor for my bedroom for which I'll mainly be watching TV show DVD's and the odd television program (The Daily Show) I schedule into the Tivo.

I might on occassion watch a movie when I'm too tired or lazy to climb out of bed and watch in the livingroom but mainly it will be for viewing my collection of TV show DVD's and the occassional satelite program.

Based on this, I am not looking for the "truest cinematic experience".

I just want a high-res, high quality set with defined colors and progressive scan capabilities.

It NEEDS to be a wall-mounted display and I would like something that is HDTV compliant with a built-in tuner.

I know the majority of folks on these forums are from the UK so I'd just like to remind anyone who might be reading this, that I am situated in Canada and therefore am looking for hardware that is available and compatible with our NTSC system and accepted voltage, etc.

Since I've previously been focussing on DLP projection for my livingroom HT, I haven't had much of a chance to look into Plasma sets so I'm not too sure what's available and what's been getting positive feedback...

I've briefly looked into various NEC and Panasonic models because from quick online searches, they seemed to be highly regarded in the plasma field, but I'm having MUCH difficulty finding anything available in a 4:3 Fullscreen aspect ratio.

Again, I also need something HDTV compliant and that offers pro scan conversion as well.

The reason I want a 4:3 monitor, is that it will mainly be used for watching television shows on DVD which are framed for 4:3.

Basically, the livingroom DLP setup will be for my movie watching and the bedroom setup will be for Saturday morning cartoons and various TV series. Everything from Rocky & Bullwinkle to ALF, Twin Peaks, Garfield & Friends, etc.

I might on rare occasion screen a widescreen DVD when I'm too lazy to get out of bed but in these few times, the black bars wouldn't bother me.

I'd rather a TV that would fit the aspect ratio of my viewing the majority of the time than a widescreen TV that would stretch and distort every single show that I watch so 4:3 is completely necessary for me.

The problem is... I can't find any!!!

What are some high quality (hi-res, good contrast ratio, true colors) 4:3 HDTV's (w/ built-in tuner) on the market right now?

I'm realistically looking to spend anywhere from 3.5 - 6k but I'd prefer to keep it closer 4 thousand if possible. I wouldn't mind shelling out a little extra for higher quality however.

ALSO - It NEEDS to have built-in stereo speakers!

I will NOT be going surround sound in my bedroom because it's unnecessary for what I'll be using the TV for.

Can anyone please help me out??

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I don't believe you'll find any 4:3 plasma displays at all....they're all 16:9 that I've ever seen. Anything that advertises "HD" should also be 16:9 as that's the HDTV format. If you want a 4:3 screen you may have to look into LCD panels.

Mort

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Maybe a computer LCD flat panel. I don't believe I've ever seen a plasma or LCD EDTV/HDTV at 4:3.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

But I can't even find a flat-paneled LCD larger than 20"!

[​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

Hmmm We have been buy'n Samsung 213T 21.3" Monitors here at work for like $600 to $700. Movies sure look really awesome on them and they are 1080p by the way... [​IMG]

I know there are also 24" and 26" Computer LCD's out there.

6. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Hitachi makes the CMP307XU, a 37" diagonal 4:3 plasma screen, no tuner or speakers.

We've got a bunch; they're pretty robust.

Leo

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Leo,

Of all the specs I've read up on the Hitachi, they all indicate 'built in audio'...

Can anyone assure me that this is a quality screen for TV viewing? Again, it's primary use will be of "older" television episodes on DVD...

Any ideas as to the average cost of this unit?

Thanks so much!

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Wow, from what I'm reading it sounds like the perfect display... but I hope these numbers are dated - $6,765 US!

[​IMG]

I was hoping to spend closer to ~ $4.5k

Maybe I'll be able to find a better deal...

9. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

um, okay, maybe they do have speakers.. we've never used 'em, though, so maybe I just never noticed.

Leo

10. Justin^W

Justin^W Agent

I'm surprised they even make 4:3 plasmas.