What's new

Need tips on everything (1 Viewer)

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
I feel pathetic because I cannot figure out how to hook up my entertainment system at all. I have a mix of things that is making it more difficult and after trying for hours to figure it out I have realized i need help. So here are the things I need to have hooked up and how i would like it to work in a perfect world... - Television = Panasonic th-50px80u - Blueray = Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Satelite = DirecTV with dvr (no HD package) - Receiver = JVC rx552v (no Subwoofer jack) - Ipod/DVD Player = iLive TDP310B (this has Subwoofer Jack) - Front L/R Speakers = 2 JBL Northbridge Series N38 - Center Speaker = Kenwood Kenwood CRS-N572 - Subwoofer = JBL Powerbass pb12 Ideally I would like to be able to hook up all speakers to where i can use them with each componet (watch DVD, TV, Ipod) and to also be able to use just the television's speakers because sometimes my wife gets annoyed because the surround sound is so loud (even when turned down). My problem is that there is no subwoofer jack on the receiver but there is one on the iLive ipod player and i just can't get it to all work correctly... OR at all... Can someone please help so i can use all this great equipment like it is supposed to be used? Thanks for any replies...

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
Thanks for the detailed reply... It REALLY helped clear everything up for me.... I think I will want to do option 3 because i really want the subwoofer to work with everything. Why would there be a dolby receiver with no subwoofer inputd...??? it is really annoying...!!! Are there any cheaper receivers i could use becaseu $300 is a little steep for me right now? I don't really care about being able to use teh television's speakers with the ipod, but i do want to be able to listen to the ipod with the 2 JBL's and the JBL Subwoofer. All in all i fugured I wouldn't be able to use all the things exactly how i wanted but i really want the 2 JBL speakers and the subwoofer to work with each componet and to be able to use those speakers while watching Blueray movies and movies on DirecTV.. The center speaker is not to important to me adn i do have 2 surround sound speakers that match the center speaker if that makes any difference... If not I can just not use the center speaker, no biggie... So where should i start? I am pretty sure it is with the new receiver, but do you have any less expensive options???

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
I've been searching through some local stores (BestBuy, Walmart, etc.) and realized I'm not sure what all I need in a receiver. Can i ask you to please provide me with a quick rundown of the options i need the receiver to have so i can search one down...??? Thanks again for helping walk me through all this...!!! -H-

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, I did leave out one option with the subwoofer.

Your subwoofer should have speaker-level inputs and outputs (binding posts). You can route your left/right main speakers through the subwoofer (i.e. the speaker wires leave the receiver, go into the input binding posts on the subwoofer, then run additional speaker wires from the subwoofer outputs to the speakers themselves), and have the subwoofer's internal crossover capture all the low frequencies.

It's not as good as having a dedicated output, but it can work in a pinch. Subwoofers have binding posts for just these sorts of situations - no pre-out for the subwoofer.

It won't solve all your problems, though - now you'll have an isolated iPod with no subwoofer.

As for the receiver, the Onkyo is a pretty good deal - did you notice that it ships for free from Amazon? I think the total was about $280. The next model down is only about $20 cheaper. There is a Sony receiver for around $180 but Sony receivers aren't very highly regarded, and I don't know if it will support the iPod. There are options from Pioneer and Denon for around $200 but you'd have to research a bit to see if they'll fit the bill.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Since you have Blu-Ray, you want a receiver with HDMI 1.4 for certain. It will fully support all the video/audio options of Blu-Ray.

It's nice to have a receiver that has "analog to HDMI upconversion" so that no matter what video cable type you use to connect devices to the receiver (composite, component, HDMI) they will ALL be output via the HDMI output on the receiver. This really simplifies the setup and operation.

You'll have to decide how important iPod connectivity is to you. Most receivers offer optional "docks" that run close to $100. Some receivers, like the Onkyo 509 have at least a front panel USB port that, while not ideal, at least makes it a bit easier to connect an iPod (forgive me, I'm not familiar with how iPods hook up to receivers - I'm still in the stone age when it comes to music).

Dont' fret over wattage - that's a mostly meaningless stat. Double check that your speakers are 8 ohm (or 6 ohm, but no lower) and you'll be fine with just about any receiver.

Finally, all of the "major" manufacturers make quality units - Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon are frequently recommended. I would consider JVC, Sony, Samsung, etc. second or third-tier units. You can't expect to go much lower than $200 and still have something that's going to last a while, or work well with other components. Amazon is a great place to shop - not only can you get free shipping, but they are an authorized dealer so you get a full warranty.

If you're open to a factory-refurbished unit, check out accessories4less.com. They have an Onkyo 508 (last year's model) for $200 (but you also have to pay shipping) among other possible models. I'm most familiar with the Onkyo line, and their website has a great tool for comparing models (even older models).

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
The Ipod thing i want to use has it's own dock for ipod/iphone and a seperate dvd player and a couple speakers... it has hdmi and other hook up connections. Here is a link to the owner's manual http://www.ilive.net/owners_manual/ITDP310B-IB-Jul%2016.pdf WIll i be able to run this into a receiver...??? Also, how many cables and whayt type willl i need to pick up tdo make it all work...??? I can spend around 200 for teh receiver and am gdoing to run pick one up, basically now... I have to get all this put together becasue it is such a mess...

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
The soundbar thing for Ipod/iphone i want to connect also has a dvd player, a couple of speakers and also has an hdmi output and other connection possibilities... Here is a link to the owner's manual... http://www.ilive.net/owners_manual/ITDP310B-IB-Jul%2016.pdf Do you think i will be able to run this into the receiver and make it work...? I think maybe i wasn't clear about this componet... I am going to run out adn pick up something tonnight because i need it all put back together it is such a mess the wife is on me... thanks again for the help... -H-

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
Okay i picked up a Denon AVR-1312...??? The ipod part is out so i think this unit will server my purposes... I finally found out that the ipod bar would not work well compared to the other great speakers i have so I'll just us it somewhere else in the house... I do have a questions about hooking it all up though... Basically i need to knwo how to hoow all this up withmy new receiver. I ahve the speakers figured out but its all the other stuff... DirecTV and Blueray. I have There is not a HDMI hook up on my DIrecTV box so i read somewhere that I need to run svideo or RCA cables to my blueray and then run the blueray through to the tv with an HDMI cable...?? Does this sound right? I am not subscribed to an HD service with DirecTV i just have a basic plan. I really don't know anything about this so thanks a ton for helping.... The instructions are really hard for me to follow and they all refer to eachother about hooking it all up.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by SummitSeeker

WIll i be able to run this into a receiver...???

I think there's very little chance that you can use the iLive with a receiver. The only output it has is an HDMI output, which while it can carry audio and video, is intended to pass the A/V signal from the internal DVD player.

The manual makes no indication that audio from an iPod will be passed out via HDMI. It does explicitly state that video from an iPod will not be output via HDMI, so I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that audio won't be passed, either.

The drawback to devices like the iLive is that they are NOT designed to provide true expandability like an A/V receiver. Based on the fact that you want to use Blu-Ray, Satellite, AND iPod your best (and only) way to achieve this is with a decent A/V receiver. The iLive simply can't cut it.

As for cables, at a minimum, you'll need an HDMI cable from Blu-Ray to Receiver, one from Receiver to TV, and (if your satellite box has HDMI output) one from satellite to receiver. If your satellite doesn't have HDMI, then use component cable from satellite to receiver and digital optical or coaxial from satellite to receiver.

DON'T buy expensive HDMI cables from any retailer. Get cables from [url=http://www.monoprice.com]www.monoprice.com.

That should be enough to get you started.

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
I'm cool with not worrying about the iLive thing so it is out... I have it set up and half working so can you please run through how to set all this up? I have a few HDMI cables and an optical cable and lots of RCA cables but none that are actually red/blue/green. My DirecTV box does not have an HDMI cable jack adn my televcision only has 2 HDMI spaces, with 1 S-Video and 1 Componet. NOTE: I want to be able to use the televisions speakers for casual TV/movie watching but then to kick in the receiver with the surround sound when we want to... I know i must be driving you crazy and I'm really sorry.... thanks again for the help because this is all ablut to drive me up a wall...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sorry my last reply didn't address your Denon. Our posts crossed and I had to log off right after my last post.

First, we should clarify the difference between "Composite" and "Component" connections.

Composite video connections are the most basic, standard-definition connection type. It uses a single yellow RCA jack for video, and Red/White RCA jacks for analog stereo audio. According to the online manual for your TV, you have one set of Composite inputs (the S-Video connection is an alternate video connection for the same set of inputs as the composite inputs).

A component video connection (component refers to the video portion of the connection only) uses a set of three RCA jacks (Red/Blue/Green) for ONLY the video portion of the signal. Component connections support HD resolutions up to 1080i. In addition to the three RCA jacks for video, there are typically also Red/White RCA jacks for analog stereo audio. According to the manual for your TV, you should have TWO sets of component inputs (with analog audio).

You should not try using a set of composite cables (bundled yellow/red/white) for component video since the signal is analog and is more susceptible to poor quality cables/connectors than a purely digital HDMI connection.

Finally, the Denon receiver you picked up does not convert composite video inputs to output via HDMI. And does not have any component video inputs or outputs. This receiver is really designed for an "all HDMI" configuration, but will work adequately for now. If you opt to upgrade to HD satellite service, the connections will simplify a bit. The end result will be that you'll need to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver depending on what you want to watch and how you want to listen.

OK. For connections, it's probably best to address them by device.

Blu-Ray player

For use with the receiver speakers

Use an HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player output to an HDMI input on the Denon. Then run a separate HDMI cable from the HDMI output on the reciever to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. On the Denon, the output is the rightmost HDMI port as you look at the back panel. To watch Blu-Ray with the receiver speakers, turn on the Denon, select the Blu-Ray input on the Denon, and select the HDMI input on the TV.

For use with the TV speakers

Use a component video cable to connect the component video output from the Blu-Ray player to one of the component video inputs on the TV. Also use a pair of analog red/white audio cables from the output on the Blu-Ray player to the corresponding inputs on the TV (the red/white inputs next to whichever component input you used). To watch Blu-Ray on TV, set the TV to the component video input and you should be all set.

One extra note: the specs page for the Denon mentioned that it has "HDMI Standby Passthrough" which should mean that even with the Denon turned "Off" that your TV will get audio and video through the HDMI connection. I could not find any verification of this in the manual. After you hook up the Blu-Ray player with HDMI cables, try watching a Blu-Ray with the Denon turned off and see if you get picture and sound on the TV. If you do, then the second set of connections above won't be needed!

Satellite TV

This will be done a bit differently, since you only have standard definition service and no digital surround sound, there's no benefit at this time to run directly to the receiver. Instead, we'll go through the TV. Keep in mind, should you upgrade to HD service at some point in the future, you will want to change this setup to get the best sound and picture.

For use with the TV speakers

Use either a composite video cable (plus a red/white audio cable) or another component video cable (plus red/white audio cable) from the satellite output to a corresponding input on the TV. To watch Satellite on the TV, set the input on the TV to whichever input (composite or component) you used to connect the Satellite box.

For use with the receiver speakers

Use another set of red/white audio cables to connect the audio OUT on the back of the TV to the audio INPUT on the back of the Denon (see page 8 of the Denon manual). To watch Satellite using the receiver speakers, turn on the Denon, set the TV to the Satellite input (same as above) and set the Denon to the video input and MUTE the TV (you won't want sound coming from the TV and the receiver speakers at the same time).

Note: We are not running video for satellite through the Denon. There's really no reason to do so.

You will need to read the manuals for all your components carefully to make sure you get the best sound quality from the Blu-Ray player.

I hope I covered it all, but if you encounter any problems report back and we'll work through it. Good luck!

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
No need to apologize bro you are being such a huge help for sure andI think i'm starting to get it... I did try Blue-Ray with the receiver off and it didn't work... I haven't hooked it up the to the TV yet, but it sounds great when hooked up to the receiver...!!! WHoHoo...!!! I broke down and will be installing a HD receiver from DIrecTV Monday so i have a few questions... All it is costing me is $10 more a month so they sold me pretty easy. - Basically i just hook the new HD Satelite box like the Blueray with just HDMI to receiver then other connections to TV... - When i am watching satelite throught just the TV and with the new HD DirecTV receiver will it be in HD??? If not is there any way that it will be...? - When I'm watching Blue-Ray through just the TV will it be in HD...? If not is there any way it will be or will I have to use the receiver to watch in HD...? - Where does an optical cable go in all this? I have an optical cable just not sure where to use it or if i even need it at all...? - WHich is better S-Video vs. Component vs. Composite...? If you had your choice which one would you use...? I feel like i should have you over for a beer when it's all hooked up...?? what kind of beer do ya like...?? thanks again...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The best way to answer your questions is backwards .

Cheers to your conversion to full Blu-Ray HD video and lossless audio awesomeness! To me, the step up from lossy DD and DTS sound to the lossless formats on Blu-Ray (via HDMI) was the biggest improvement of all. It really sounds fantastic.

SummitSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrison
Okay i finally got it all clear now... I can't wait until Monday and to get it finally set-up... I couldn't have done it without you so once again thanks so much for the help...

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have been reading this thread and as usual Jason has provided you with a lot of valuable advise. One thing I don't understand that with all the great things you are trying to achieve why you would want to listen to anything through the cheep speakers found in your TV. It really complicates your set up and connections required. If the sound level bothers you wife then just turn it down or use a late night setting, as low level sound from TV can be just as annoying to someone not watching the TV than good sound played low. One other option is to get a set of good head phones and turn all the speakers off and listen as loud as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks