What's new

Plasma v LCD v projector (1 Viewer)

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm thinking of replacing my TV screen for my home theater system, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a rundown on the advantages/disadvantages, if any, of plasma screens, LCD's or projectors, and give me some tips on what I need to be looking for. Are there other advantages to projectors than just the image size? And what about the cost? Are projector lamps expensive to replace? And do they need to be replaced often? What about the power requirements? I've noticed some projectors have fairly large power ratings. Does that impact much on the electricity bill? :) I will use it exclusively for watching movies on DVD. The room is fairly small and I only sit about 1 - 2 meters from the TV screen (although, that will likely change in the future, so I'd want to be able to use my new system in a larger environment if necessary). I already have a habit of watching films in low lighting, so room lighting will always be constant when I'm watching movies (i.e. dark!). Thanks in advance!

Michael_Martin

Auditioning
Hi David,

Well a lot depends on you and your preferences but I will try to answer some of your questions.

I will not go into details about the differences between plasma and LCD since that information can be found on this forum. A general advantage that you would have with either of these technologies is the ability to watch them during the day with light in your room. Both Plasma and LCD are bright and vivid so you will not have to wait until dark to thoroughly enjoy them.

Projectors on the other hand can't be beat for image size vs. price. Most of the better Projectors offer excellent pictures that in a dark room will stun most everyone who sees them including you. Projector bulbs last anywhere between 2000-5000 hours of normal use and the cost to replace them also varies between a couple hundred to around four hundred dollars.

For normal viewing I doubt you would notice much of a difference on your electric bill between the different options you mentioned.

If you mainly watch movies and you have a light controlled room or view in the evening then I would say a projector would certainly give you more of a cinema feeling. You will get a whole new enjoyment out of your movies and will want to watch your old ones all over again. You will want to give yourself as much room as possible between you and the screen though.

If you do decide on a projector you will want to read or ask about the differences between LCD and DLP projectors. Both have advantages but with sitting close to the screen you may prefer a DLP projector over LCD.

My feeling is if you use this mostly for movies in a light controlled room a projector will give you the most bang for the buck. In the future if you move to a bigger room you can then project a larger image and in essence the projector can grow with you.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy whatever you choose

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your post. I know it's been a while since I posted, though. I've just been too busy lately.

Looking at prices and specifications of projectors, LCD's and plasma screens, you seem to be right about projectors. But I don't know a thing about projectors, so I have some questions before I start to consider whether to get one. First, although I think I know where you might be going with this, what is the difference between a DLP and LCD projector, and what are the advantages/disadvantages? And is there much difference in the pricing of the two types? What does the image size that's often given mean? Is that a maximum value? And how would I adjust the image size if I had a projector? How do I judge resoloution? Is it equivalent to an LCD or Plasma screen of similar image size? And what about High Definition? Are there HD projectors, as there are with LCD's and plasmas? Or, will a standard projector be able to handle HD? Are other issues (such as number of colours, advantages of various inputs) the same as with a TV?

Like I said,I know nothing about projectors. So I'd be grateful for any answers you can give me on this! :)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
David, I second going to Projectorcentral.com and reading the numerous articles and reviews there. You have way too many questions to answer here. I also recommend you buy a projector. You can get a very nice projector for $1000 or less, and make your own screen and mount for less than $75.00. After I bought our projector, we sold our 55" RPTV because we barely used it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks