What's new

Help me build in-laws new "theater" (1 Viewer)

CalebC

Grip
My in-laws have put me in charge of putting together their Home Theater for their home they are building in the mountains. Any help is appreciated as I have not followed home theater since marriage, child, and going broke :).

Total Budget: $7,500 - $9,000 (excluding DTV and wires)

Im thinking a breakdown as follows (tell me if you suggest otherwise)...this is only a rough guide:
$3,000 for speakers. including sub (he wants speakers on the wall or in the wall...lame...but thats what they want, sub can sit out)
$3,000 for television (65" cause they will be about 12-14 feet away)
$1,000 for A/V receiver
$500 for DVD player

I am partial to Integra and Atlantic Technology as I love what I have (for an entry level system) but Im looking for help here. I know there are some amazing things that have been released since I built my "theater" 6 years ago (I have an HD TV that old!).

Suggestions on:
-TV (Plasma/LCD/DLP/Projector???I dunno where to start)
-Speakers (Definately want a very good sub...that is important..they also love their opera music and classic rock...weird combo, good people though)
-A/V Receiver (big time music and movie fans)
-DVD Player (good picture as well as sound is important).

Basically, looking for the most crisp clear picture and acurate sound possible for this budget...pretty easy. suggestions to get me started on my search????

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
For the receiver I would take a look at Outlaw audio, I love their stuff and think they are a great bang for the buck.

CalebC

Grip
OK...Deminsions:

20' by 18' carpeted viewing area that will be the room but it is unwalled and the entire open space is actually 30' by 40' (great room, includes the kitchen).

CalebC

Grip
The time has come and I am narrowing my choices. So far this is what I like for them after researching for a while.

The toughest choice for me has been the speakers...I can not decide but by many comments and listening I am leaning toward what you see below.

Also, I chose the Sony TV because it sounds like a very good "bang-for-buck" at least more than the Pioneer plasma...If you feel there is a huge difference let me know, they can squeeze the Pioneer with this budget...could also squeeze the 70" Sony in if it needs to be.

Thank you for your input.

MY SUGGESTED HOME THEATER to in-laws:
*TV: Sony KDSR60XBR2 @ $2,500.00
*A/V Receiver: Outlaw 1070 @ $899.00
*Center Speaker: Definitive Technology CLR 2500 Center @ $599 - $799
*Front Right/Left Speakers: Definitive Technology BP 7002 Towers @ $1639 - $2100 per pair
*Surround Speakers: Definitive Technology BPVX Surrounds @ $450 - $599 each
*Subwoofer: N/A with above set up
*DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A20 @ $324.88

TOTAL: $6862.00 - $7821.00
plus Shipping and Handling
plus Professional ISF Calibration
plus Wires

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have DefTech towers and I love them. But they are bipolar speakers. This means they need to be pulled into the room 3-4 feet to get the true benefit. Since your in-laws wanted on-wall or in-wall speakers - these are the wrong speakers for them.

Go with the smaller, monitor-style speakers from DefTech, or the Mythos line which are thin and designed to go around a Plasma display. Then add a single, external sub.

(This is usually a superior setup because the placement of the "powered-towers" is never the right spot in the room for the sub. My built-in woofers are turned off in favor of a SVS in the corner of my living room.)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Bob is spot on with pointing out that the deftechs are not the best choice. I'm not the biggest fan of deftech anyway. If they want inwalls, go with inwalls. There are some fantastic choices out there, very high on my list would be Triad, though you may push the budget with those.

Benpax

Auditioning
Real Name
BENJAMIN PEACE
For speakers I would look into B&W and Paradigm. Go check out you local high-fi store. I use B&W for my 5.1 works excellent for movies and music. The only negative I have about B&W is the sub other than that speakers are terrific. I would recommend going to several stores to listen to the the speakers. Bring your own CD and movie to compare each. Good Luck

CalebC

Grip
yes...i have listened at many stores. i am actually very partial to atlantic technology (that is also what i own) but bang for buck is what they are going for and im not sure AT gets that.

also, in-walls are no longer what we are looking for. i have talked them out of that...i hope.

i think this package is pretty much set. however, im starting to question my decision for their receiver as the outlaw is getting a bit aged (although it still produces great sounds and is a great receiver) and lacks the HDMI that they will probably want...suggestions to go with the Def Tech (or av123.com package #2...have not been able to hear them but many have suggested them to me) speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks