What's new

Plasma Burn-in - Getting Better? (1 Viewer)

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I know all about the effect of playing long sessons of video games or watching tv with a constant logo appearing in a corner on plasma and RPTV. However, I know that it is getting better - in fact the latest Samsung displays claim to completely eliminate burn-in due to auto shifting pixels which is a cool touch and peace of mind. Now the reality is that I have a58" Panasonic Plasma arriving this week, not the latest 1080p, but last year's model at heavy discount. What are the effects of burn-in today as opposed to say five years ago? I had an Elite PRO520HD for years and never had any effect even though I played lots of Tiger Woods, Madden and NHL. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't still very concerned about ruining my new display especially with the additon of an XBox 360 and multiple games.

I have read to limit playing intervals to no more than one hour during the first 100 hours of break-in. I also know to reduce the brightness and contrast to reduce the possible exposure due to increase light output.

Any other thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I contend that the problem of burn in is just the same today as it was 5 years ago.

The solution is the same, keep the contrast down. I suggest no more than halfway. Unless the improvement in the TV to reduce burn in consists of lower light output for the maximum contrast setting.

Shifting pixels helps with thin bright lines but not with big bright patches.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mark- Do some searching here as well as at AVS. Burn in on newer plasmas is much better than it used to be. In fact, I have come across a few people who have accidentally left a DVD menu playing on their plasma while they fell asleep, for example. 8 hrs later, they wake up, and after changing the picture, the image is back to normal pretty darn quick. (Be careful too: image retention is different than burn in. Burn in is irreversible. Image retention is reversible.) In fact, you almost have to abuse a current plasma to get burn in.

Baby it the 1st 100 hrs, get some sort of calibration disc like Avia, DVE, etc. and calibrate brightness and contrast properly, don't play games on it, and you should never have a problem.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks fellas - I have been reading quite a bit about this all over but felt it necessary to ask again just in case I missed something. I was in all my glory Sunday playing RS: Vegas but was constantly worried about any damaging effects. The unit has only about 15 hours on it so yes, it is being babied. I even turned the contrast down as far as possible while still being able to see.

I will calibrate it once I have the proper time on it.

I will check out that link now as well. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks