What's new

Pink Floyd "Pulse" (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Jordan_E said:
Overall, I give the edge to the Roger Waters DVD, as I like the more "intimate" feel. But the Roger Waters DVD and disc 2 of Pulse will get equal play time from now on.
Hopefully a DVD will be released of David Gilmour's recent solo tour. I saw him at Radio City Music Hall and the show was brilliant. Having also seen the Gilmour-fronted Pink Floyd in 1994 at Giants Stadium, and Roger waters twice during his last solo tour (at Hershey Park, then again at Madison Square Garden), I have to say the Gilmour solo show at Radio City was the best of them all.
Can't wait to see Waters again later this summer.
Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Whitford said:
I love the Division Bell stuff. One of my favorite discs of the last twenty years.
I like both "The Division Bell" and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and think Gilmour is a great musician (I heard on the radio not too long ago somebody say that Gilmour doesn't merely play the guitar, he paints a canvass with it, and that's so true), but Water's "Amused to Death" trumps them both. It's a brilliant (and incredibly under-rated) album that took me a while to warm up to, but I've probably listened to it straight-through more than any other album I own.
Vincent

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I read on David Gilmore's site that they were shooting footage for a dvd of his current solo tour.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
but Water's "Amused to Death" trumps them both. It's a brilliant (and incredibly under-rated) album that took me a while to warm up to, but I've probably listened to it straight-through more than any other album I own.

Well, obviously, Waters has always been the better writer. Gilmour is the better musician of the group. Water's solo work may have some rhetorical brilliance to it (although I don't see eye to eye with his rather extreme political views that lace most of his solo work) but honestly, I find most of the music to be somewhat dull. I find Radio K.A.O.S. to be the most accessable of his work (and that includes Floyd's "The Final Cut" which may as well have been a Waters solo album). It has been many years since I have listened to "Amused to Death" or "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" though. Maybe I'll have to check them out again.

I am excited to go see him in concert later in the summer though.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
David Tolsky said:
I project it on a 104" screen and for shits and giggles, I hit the zoom button on the remote. I then get a "widescreen" version of the 4:3 image that, believe it or not, does not look all that distorted.
I could never even imagine doing something like that.

Torquil

Agent
To follow up on the two threads here - Gilmour and Waters solo work has never matched the greatness of what they achieved together. However, Gilmour's Pink Floyd and the latest "On an Island" are definitely more listenable than Roger Waters' efforts (although I can't stand "About Face").

And, yes, parts of the recent tour were fimed. Hi-Def cameras filmed the Albert Hall evenings - so expect to see David Bowie perfoming Comfortably Numb or Nick Mason on drums for the encores on the final London night(completing the Gilmour Floyd line-up - i.e. Jon Carin on keyboards and Guy Pratt on bass) as extras.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Torquil said:
To follow up on the two threads here - Gilmour and Waters solo work has never matched the greatness of what they achieved together. However, Gilmour's Pink Floyd and the latest "On an Island" are definitely more listenable than Roger Waters' efforts (although I can't stand "About Face").
That's your opinion. Myself, I absolutely HATED The Division Bell altogether. Gilmour's Pink Floyd (apt title) is a stagnant entity. I'd rather listen to Radio KAOS than On an Island any day...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Had a chance to check out some of the disc the other night...

My first question is who in the hell picked Billy Corgan to induct PF into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame? I mean, I like his work with the Pumpkins, but he was a HORRIBLE inductor (?). It seemed like he had no idea of the band's history (and didn't care enough to research it) and just made so many rude comments throughout his speech.

Real Name
Hernan Hernandez
MatthewHA said:
Disk one of my copy of PULSE does not display the menu, and I cannot get to any special features. It will not play on both of my DVD players. I bought my copy at Best Buy. Any others having the same problem?
I had a similar problem with disc 2 instead. My workaround was to press "1" on the remote and it went immediately went to chapter 1 and began to play. After than I was able to call up the main menu by pressing... you guessed it... "Menu." None-the-less, disc 2 has not started on its own for me and I'm not using a crappy player!
ANYONE ELSE RUNNING INTO ANY OTHER PROBLEMS?

Real Name
Hernan Hernandez
Jordan_E said:
Got the 640 track to play on my Sony 400-discer, but not my Pioneer "Elite."
I have the exact same issue!!! My cheap, 400-disc Sony Jukebox play the 640 track just fine. No problem. However, my $1,000+ Pioneer Elite refuses to play the 640kbps track. Both players are brand-spanking new, current models! Whats up with that? Anybody here have any luck playing the 640kbps track on a Pioneer Elite Model? By the way, the video and 448kbps track, as played on my Pioneer are just incredible (especially the sound)... so I wont miss the 640kbps version too much... though I still wish I could play it on the better deck.

Gary Nash

Agent
JohnRice said:
concert is better in practically every aspect....
I'm with John on this one. Althought the 5.1 sound is a big winner, the way the concert has been filmed is a less engaging experience. DSOT has a more ethereal quality with some really moody slow-mo shots, including those misterious mobile lighting rigs that move around like mini motherships.
I find the Pulse gig is too, well, video-y. Quite often the whole stage illuminates the venue and reveals it for what it is, a big shed!. The DSOT seems to disguise the venue and make you feel part of the concert.
I think you're hard pushed to spot any of the film crew during DSOT, but they were in view several times during Pulse.
I remember reading that DSOT was filmed rather than videod, so maybe this adds to the overall effect.
I also think the backing singers for Pulse are a let-down. I'm a big fan of Sam Brown's solo album, but her interpretation of Great Gig is way-off. I like the aspect of her power-roar, but she seems to have forgotten the melody which Clare Torry has indelibly imprinted on our memories.
In addition, who on earth acted as their choregrapher? I found they were really distracting with their sub-Pan's People routines (UK members will get the reference).
The DSOT backing singers were much more co-ordinated & slinky and although Rachel Fury's rendition of Gig was a little grating, it was a better performance.
Finally, the screen films were rather distracting in Pulse - compare the way Shine On was accompanied on the Roger Waters/In the Flesh concert - it was a much more complementary set of visuals.
In closing, I'm glad to have the Pulse release, but I'd gladly upgrade my DSOT laserdisc if it ever made it onto DVD.
Gary

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gary Nash said:
I remember reading that DSOT was filmed rather than videod, so maybe this adds to the overall effect.
DSOT was definitely shot on film rather than video. that is part of it, but certainly not all. DSOT is far more theatrical, which some people may actually dislike, but it makes for a fabulous experience, as far as I'm concerned. There is also some "cheating" in DSOT, as in, some footage which was not shot during the concert, but it is done for visual effect, not because of poor filmmaking. Finally, the energy on DSOT is through the roof. Pulse was pretty flat in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks