What's the difference between standard DD5.1 and 640 Kbps Dolby 5.1?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Pine, Jul 12, 2006.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Is it just a higher resolution? Is it approaching SACD sound quality? I've read that the new Pink Floyd Pulse concert DVD has both tracks. Will my old Denon DVD-2900 play the 640 Kbps version?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dolby Digital 5.1 can be executed at many Kbps resolutions. 640 is much higher than standard, and should result in a lower compression ratio, therefore better sound. Much like larger higher kbps MP3 files sound better than smaller lower kbps ones. It should be compatible with any DVD player, I don't understand why they would have to include another "compatability" mode. DVD-Video is capable of much higher throughput audio than this in PCM mode.

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

640 kbps is the maximum bitrate allowed in the Dolby Digital specification. On the other hand, the DVD specification doesn't allow for more than 448 kbps. I can only imagine that they're packaging it as if it were a half-bitrate dts track, or something, which makes no sense, but would require a "compatibility" audio track. Anyway, I wouldn't call it an audiophile-quality option, but it should be roughly equivalent to full-bitrate dts for perceptual quality.

4. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Understood, good info guys!

Wonder why they just didn't go with a DTS version? Maybe they "cheaped out" and did the "640 Kbps version" instead.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

DTS would require higher bandwidth to achieve the same sound quality, bandwidth that they would rather have to maximize the picture I would assume.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Technically, I suppose it is. But it's a long way off.