What's new

What 5 Concert DVD's would you like to see on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
This is a tough question for those that might have more than a few concert DVD's.

The first one is an oldie but goodie that some might have forgotten about:

1. Pink Floyd - Pulse (If just for the better Audio)
2. Eric Clapton - Any of his works, Cream 05, Crossroads, Unplugged, Etc.
3. Joe Bonamassa - Live at Royal Albert Hall
4. Lee Ritenour - Overtime (Ditto)
5. B.B. King - Live in Africa (Ditto)

Honorable Mentions and Worthy DVD to BD wish list that made it difficult to choose from:

Chris Smithers - One More Night
Bozz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
American Folk Blues Festival 62-64 - The whole series
Robin Trower - Living Out Of Time
Neil Young - Heart of Gold
Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day

There's so many more. I just want to see what other people would like to see on BD.
This one will be fun to see what comes up. Remember, Concert DVD's only "Yellow Submarine" doesn't count.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones (1973) was assembled from two concerts in early 1972 and released theatrically in January 1973. An extremely well-shot and recorded film that made the Stones look good after the disaster at Altamont and is probably the concert film they wished Gimme Shelter had been. Although very popular at the time, it has never been released to home video in any format. It would be nice if the Stones released a soundtrack CD together with a Blu-Ray.

D.A. Pennebaker's Dont Look Back (1967), a fly-on-the-wall documentary of Bob Dylan's solo-acoustic tour of England in May 1965 captures cultural and social change in the moment while it's happening. No wars are fought or elections won or souls saved, except perhaps in the songs, but the sight of this frail, primitive musician with a guitar holding entire stadiums enthralled with the power of his words says something about the role of an artist and audience expectations that is hard to explain. The behavior of people in his orbit is surreal, while the monochromatic imagery is iconic, and it's all real; Bob Fosse saw it, studied it, and applied it to Lenny (1974). Ironic that Dont Look Back is not strictly a concert film. I don't know how well the 16mm footage will hold up on Blu-Ray, but on DVD it was a revelation. A Blu-Ray should include Pennebaker's recent follow-up short film of outtakes and something else the fans have been pleading for almost 45 years: a complete and uninterrupted concert as well as a soundtrack CD of a complete and uninterrupted concert.

Bob Dylan upped the ante with a more confrontational film the following year called Eat the Document, shot in color by Howard Alk during a concert tour of England in May 1966 and screened briefly in 1970. This time the concerts were longer and Dylan is much weirder. He played the first half solo with his acoustic guitar. The second half, he came out with a rock and roll band the likes of which audiences had never heard, and it made many of them angry. The audience participation is part of the music. One of the most famous shows of all time was recently released on CD called Live 1966. But the visual counterpart is missing, although glimpses of Alk's spectacular footage can be seen in underground copies of Eat the Document and in Martin Scorsese's documentary No Direction Home (2006). Let's see Howard Alk's footage in its entirety on Blu-Ray.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'd like to see a complete Van Halen concert from the early '80s. That might not exist, but as long as we're talking theoretically. . . :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Pulse was shot on video, so Blu-Ray would do little (if anything) for the picture. The audio should be better though.

My favorite is "Stop Making Sense" by the Talking Heads. That's my only Blu-Ray concert thus far.

Wish List (Current DVDs)

Peter Gabriel: Growing Up Live
Portishead: PNYC
Alice In Chains: Unplugged
Nirvana: Unplugged

Wish List (Theoretical)
Tool (When are we going to get a proper concert recording, there have been rumors for years now?????)
Faith No More (Reunion Concert - Mike Patton has rumored that video has been shot)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My BD picks:

1. Crowded House - Farewell to the World Live. What an amazing concert and event for fans of this band at the Sydney Opera House in front of 120,000. And so happy to see they (surviving members) are back touring again for the first time in more than a decade (with brother Tim Finn). I've got my ticket, have you got yours?

2.Fleetwood Mac - The Dance. One of the first DVDs I bought, and still the best of the lot from them, particularly for the awesome version of "Silver Springs" by Stevie Nicks, and the competiveness between the band members (Lindsay Buckingham possessed).

3. Cat Stevens - Majikat. Here's a remarkable concert from 1976, particularly for the fact he had the foresight to shoot it in 35mm. So it would definitely benefit from a remastering and re-release in BD. And his music, messages and lyrics have aged very well indeed.

4. Chris Isaak Show. Where is it Biography Channel? Not technically one concert, but this series is a fantastic SET of concerts with Stevie Nicks, Trisha Yearwood, Cat Stevens, Smashing Pumpkins, Chicaco, and Michael Buble. And it was shot in HD. So where is it? Showtime released Elvis Costello's fantastic Spectacle on BD. This was easily as good.

5. Neil Young Tribute Musicares Concert. Shot in HD just this past fall, performers doing Young's songs included Young, Wilco, John Mellencamp, Emmy Lou Harris, Sheryl Crow, Jackson Browne, Elton John, Norah Jones, Jack Black, Dave Matthews, Elvis Costello, James Taylor, John Fogerty, Leon Russell, Crosby Stills & Nash, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Paul Simon and James Taylor Musicares concerts were released. WHERE THE HELPLESS IS THIS!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
In no particular order:

John Fogerty: Premonition
Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live
James Taylor: Live at the Beacon Theatre
Roger Waters: In the Flesh
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over

There are so many, but these came to mind quickly.

Unfortunately, Fleetwood Mac The Dance, and Fogerty's Premonition were shot with video. But being that they were released early in DVD, they should look better with a modern video transfer. The audio, of course, would be considerably better. I love both these concerts, and hope they do get a release on Blu.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have seen another Fleetwood Mac concert on Paladium (a HD concert music channel carried by Comcast) that would more likely show up on BD, since it was recorded in HD -- unlike The Dance. Unfortunately, the performance is not as good as that on The Dance.

I believe The Eagles Hell Freezes Over is also a SD video recording. A more likely candidate for BD release would be their concert from Melbourne.

I would like to see either of the Springsteen concerts from NYC or Barcelona on BD. Both were recording in HD.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

My BD picks:

1. Crowded House - Farewell to the World Live. What an amazing concert and event for fans of this band at the Sydney Opera House in front of 120,000. And so happy to see they (surviving members) are back touring again for the first time in more than a decade (with brother Tim Finn). I've got my ticket, have you got yours?
Love Crowded House! But not the first time touring in a decade. They toured in 2007 in support of "Don't Stop Now." And I don't believe Tim is on tour w/ them this time. If he is, they are not listing him on Facebook or on their web site. However, I agree w/ you. Would love to get this great concert on BD.

I believe The Eagles Hell Freezes Over is also a SD video recording. A more likely candidate for BD release would be their concert from Melbourne.
Yes. The "Farewell Tour 1 Tour" is the one from Melbourne. A great HD show sitting in their vault. I have to think they will have one soon. They may just jump right in with a BD of the "Long Road Out of Eden" tour.

Finally, we need R.E.M.'s "Perfect Square". Fantastic show from around 2004. However, even better: they are in the studio prepping a disc for their 30th anniversary. I suspect a tour is coming and a 30th anniversary BD would make sense.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You're right, on second look Tim's not in the tour picture. Just as well, they won't have to squeeze his okay-but-not-neil's songs in. Didn't know about the 2007 tour; it didn't come anywhere near me, but I had the CD.

www.ticketmaster.com/Crowded-House-tickets/artist/998388
Originally Posted by David Deeb

Love Crowded House! But not the first time touring in a decade. They toured in 2007 in support of "Don't Stop Now." And I don't believe Tim is on tour w/ them this time. If he is, they are not listing him on Facebook or on their web site. However, I agree w/ you. Would love to get this great concert on BD.

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I realize a lot of these DVD's were shot in SD Video but the better audio is what I'm aiming for, if they can't do much with the video that's OK. I'm finding it harder to sit and just listen to music with no video anymore. Getting spoiled I guess with so many DVD concerts available. I used to go to a lot live venues, but I now live in an area that has little live music concerts, so these quench my thirst.

I've seen Pink Floyd 4 times, the last was at Ga. Tech's football field in Atlanta the "Division Bell Tour" The first was at Saratoga Performing Art's amphitheater in NY. in 71 or 72 the pre-"Dark Side Of The Moon Tour". They played in Quad and we sat next to the sound mixer out in the lawn. They played "Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun" with the organ swirling clock wise while the drums were counter clock, the guitar side to side with bass all around but mostly front to rear. This was the best sounding concert I ever went to, being half indoors and half outdoors and sitting next to the sound mixer also really helped.

The Cream at RAH 05 was shot in HD and was available on HD-DVD, I believe, but still not transferred to BD yet. Here again, the sound quality to DTS MA would really be welcomed by the Clapton fans. I'm not sure, but some of the Crossroads Festivals were in HD too, or at least the video is extremely good on these if not.

The Joe Bonamassa at RAH is just such an awesome performance and the sound quality is fantastic for being just in DTS 5.1 that this would be Drop Dead Fantastic in DTS MA and maybe they could work on the audio mix a little better too. Some times they lower the volume on the drums and bass, it's there, but not as loud as on other songs. Maybe they could even that out a little better is all, but would take as is with the better loss-less audio.

Lee Ritenour is back with almost a who's who of jazz musicians and the performance is just out of this world. The audio is very well done and was recorded in a small theater set up to record the performance as well as possable with a small audience and is very intimate. Don't know if this was in SD video or 75mm, but the better audio would be nirvana for this.

B.B.King "Live In Africa 74" I'm pretty sure was shot in SD video just due to age, but I've see some "Who" video shot in 75mm from the same year. This is (In my opinion one of his best recorded performances) an awesome audio remaster of an outstanding performance. The audio is sheer magic as B B's vocals are clean and clear, he doesn't fade out even when he steps back from the mic to play his guitar and sing at the same time, really well done. The mix of the other musicians is well balanced but would be better in a loss-less format.

I guess what I'm after here is the better sound quality that BD offers with it's loss-less audio formats in 124/96 stereo or Dolby HD or DTS MA surround. In my dream world I would like to see all audio recordings in any of those formats as standard.

The Eagles HFO would also be a welcome BD if just for the better audio too.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
For those Crowded House fans...if you haven't, you should check out 'Neil Finn, Sessions at West 54th'. It's on DVD, but I would love to see it on BD. I'm not sure how it was shot.

The concert itself is wonderful, featuring Crowded House member Mark Hart, and it has the same intimate club feel that the rest of the West 54th series have. Much of the material is from Finn's solo disc 'Try Whistling This', but there are some good numbers from Crowded House and Split Enz as well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, that's a great DVD, and in my collection. A very subdued concert compared to a Crowded House show, but a great souvenir of the solo tour Neil Finn did around the same time.

Originally Posted by David Wilkins

For those Crowded House fans...if you haven't, you should check out 'Neil Finn, Sessions at West 54th'. It's on DVD, but I would love to see it on BD. I'm not sure how it was shot.

The concert itself is wonderful, featuring Crowded House member Mark Hart, and it has the same intimate club feel that the rest of the West 54th series have. Much of the material is from Finn's solo disc 'Try Whistling This', but there are some good numbers from Crowded House and Split Enz as well.

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I just borrowed a Crowded House CD from my 14 year old niece, not bad, can see how she likes them.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'd like to see Peter Frampton's Live in Detroit make it over to BD. Though shot in 1999 and released to DVD in 2000 it was shot with HD cameras. The a/v quality of the DVD is already great and would be a good candidate to make the jump. Could be a reference disc. Great performance too, one worthy of upgrading.

Also like to see Led Zeppelin (2003), though I'm not sure how much video improvement there would be for some of the material. The Earl's Court stuff was shot on video so not much to improve there, but the Royal Albert Hall part (best part of the whole set IMO) and the Song Remains the Same outtakes should look better. Sound should be better across the board.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Apart from some of the ones already mentioned ( e.g. Peter Gabriel, Cream/Eric Clapton ) I would love to see/hear any of the following on Blu Ray:

Any Tina Turner e.g. Live In Holland (currently plays on Palladia every so often)

Any Thin Lizzy

Any Cyndi Lauper

Madonna - Blonde Ambition Tour

Regards

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
The U2 Under A Blood Red Sky[Live At Red Rocks]was shot on video afaik[it's out on dvd] and won't look much better than it does on the dvd.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll play!

1. Diana Krall: Live in Paris. (2001)

1a. Diana Krall: Live at the Montreaux Jazz Festival (2004) Since Krall has been an supporter of high-resolution audio formats such as SACD, DVD-A and Dual Disc--AND has released her recent Concert in Rio on Blu-ray--I hope she might sometime catch up her earlier concerts onto HD.

2. Billy Joel: Live from Long Island (1985) I have a Beta Hi-Fi videotape of this concert and have practically worn it out. It never made it to DVD.

3. Keb' Mo': Sessions @ West 54th Street (1997) The only concert of his I know has been committed to home video.

4. Eagles: Farewell Tour (2005) A popular request.

5. James Taylor: Pull Over (2002) Another of JT's solid recorded concerts.

Honorable mention:

Cyndi Lauper: Live at Last (2004) Powerhouse performance.

Carole King & James Taylor: Live at the Troubadour (2010) Just released on CD/DVD. Where's the BD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks