What's new

Pink Floyd "Pulse" (1 Viewer)

Manus

Second Unit
Live at Pompeii is available but it only has Dolby 2.0 sound mix. And as if that wasn't bad enough news I think officially in this instance its safe to say that Floyd and their management are a bunch of A**holes !!!!!

I just got an e-mail from CDwow stating that 'Pulse' has been put back to October 2006 for , wait for it , Dvd authoring !!!^^"$^^************!!!!!!!!

Thinking this was a prank , I checked over at play.com and their new release date is June 2006 !!

How can something be within a couple of weeks of release and then suddenly hit a bump that sends it back by several months ?? Even apart from us die-hards , it must be bugging their new post Live 8 fans who are hungry for more.

Was it another Sony rootkit problem ? Have they sold out for Bluray instead ? I no longer care whose fault it is , they should ALL be ashamed of themselves.

Incompetent idiots......

~M~

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I here you.

Felt the same about Lynch going back to the drawing board for months on DVD issues on Eraserhead.

Like he suddenly woke up and smelled the coffee.

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
Manus:

I totally agree with your two descriptions of Floyd & their management.

As for authoring - no, I don't buy that (maybe a white lie from CDWow?). Blu-ray/HD-DVD, again I can't believe that - too much demand for this set against low initial demand/high cost for the new formats (and non-availability of players I would also suggest).

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we have yet another "final" release date (I'll wait for the laughter to die down).....
According to www.brain-damage.co.uk
" .... we've today been given what we are told is the final, confirmed release date.
As many of you know, the release date has been delayed time and time again - this was to include technical additions and modifications. The new release date for the DVD should give them enough time to ensure all is working fine on the DVD, and will be in the stores on September 18th, 2006, worldwide.[/i]
Pathetic is all that I can say. 9 months delay, and no word, explanation or apology.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
You gotta be kidding. Absolutely ridiculous. Can I at least get excited to hear "Wish You Were Here" on SACD or will that be pushed back too???

markAyates

Auditioning
Personally I think brain-damage are going a bit easy on them with it's "well if they're going to make sure it's right who cares if it's 9 months"... F*** that - 9 months is a long time when they've been mentioning it on the site for 4 years as being in production.
I sold my VHS back in 2003 on the news that it would be coming out by that Christmas.
EMI are a bunch of cretins - and they deserve any abusive emails!
---------------
this is the full email i sent to brain-damage:
---------------
What beggers belief is they think they could have it ready for early December, then late December, then early January, but now need to shift it 9 months!!!
It's not like this DVD has seamless branching (Terminator 2) to include other songs or other clever things such as multiple angles of the concert (nothing mentioned in the press release you kindly listed).
It's not like the DVD has multiple language audio tracks either (other than 2.0, 5.1 English) - it's a concert!
The extras on the DVD also have not appeared to have changed so I can't understand any argument about content changing either.
So why 9 months! Film companies bring out DVDs within months of the cinema release (ok theyre often prepared during the time of film production) but a 9 month delay imagine a 2 month delay to say Batman Begins or something like that. Film companies release massively complicated DVDs months after the film comes out and DONT shift release dates - and not by months, maybe a few weeks, but not perpetually!
It doesn't happen - full stop!!! There's too many steps / DVDs are nearly 8 years old. 9 month delays aren't possible!
I can only imagine that the reason is marketing based, it's months after Gilmour's album comes out so that doesn't make any sense. Live8 will be old news... and to make it worse - no other Floyd live concert exists on DVD (Wall or the other 90s one), none is announced either and Blu Ray DVD will be launched in the US this summer so DVD as a format will start looking old... also with Bluray the storage is 5x greater so they wouldn't need to split it over 2 discs!!!
PULSE will be old before it's even released.
Some of us have been reading your site since this was announced in 2001 as being "in production". This is gross incompetance and you can't cut it anyway other than that.
I would be grateful if you would pass this onto Floyd Management and EMI.
:frowning:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
This forum seems to have contacts within the industry. Can one of the administrators or owners...or a high-level industry contact such as Robert Harris (though, perhaps not him in particular), find out the low-down on this disc?

I'm getting this mental image: There are a handful of personnel who maintain control over this somewhat limited intersest (within the industry), genre-specific material.

This group of personnel have access to the master-level material, that they can enjoy for themselves and share with friends and associates. They don't give a damn if the general public EVER gets to enjoy it; in fact, they rather enjoy their exclusive access. My mental image goes on to depict them as having a lot in common with the folks behind the counter at the local post office (no offense to any who might be members here), who, upon seeing the long and lengthening line, tend to slow down rather than speed-up, shuffling their feet, and getting perverse pleasure in knowing that their's is the only game in town--and if you don't like it, then...tough.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
If they (Pink Floyd) are taking that much time to make sure it is right, I would be all for having the ENTIRE show on ONE disc and all of the bonus features on a second disc. I was actually disappointed that they split the concert over two discs.

I agree, a 9-month wait is rediculous when the disc was apparantly ready for production.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've completely given up on this release.
Hell, I have a better chance of seeing Pink Floyd live again, it seems, than seeing them on DVD!!!:angry: :thumbsdown:

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I don't mean to crap on anybody's Corn Flakes here, but how many of you ever waited months for confirmed releases of Criterion laserdiscs? I forget how many delays 'Brazil' went through, but when it was finally released and in my hot little hands, I was among the consenus that it was well worth the wait, and a prime example of what Criterion's catalogue was all about.

Just a bit of reality grounding, people...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, if it was for a release of THE WALL concert footage I'd wait for as long as needed, but this is Pulse, not THE WALL.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I don't mean to crap on anybody's Corn Flakes here, but how many of you ever waited months for confirmed releases of Criterion laserdiscs? I forget how many delays 'Brazil' went through, but when it was finally released and in my hot little hands, I was among the consenus that it was well worth the wait, and a prime example of what Criterion's catalogue was all about.

Just a bit of reality grounding, people...
If it made any sense. If Criterion was still doing major delays from announced street dates it might be somewhat applicable. They aren't. And what they were doing in their infancy ... how does that apply?

It is what it is. For most of us the 'I'll be happy if they just do it right at some point' doesn't cut the mustard.

That's the reality I'm smoking.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
The delays for this release are just getting ridiculous. Either release it or can it already. The whole thing is bizarre.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
And what they were doing in their infancy ... how does that apply?
Infancy has nothing to do with it. Did you ever own the original set? That Laserdisc was 3 years in the making. Gilliam's personal involvement was instrumental in getting that package to be what it was.

Criterion was an innovator in its "infancy" - they were the first to offer a commentary track (on King Kong), the first letterboxed home video (Lawrence Of Arabia), and they go to great lengths to have the best quality sources available to complete their projects (Their version of Kong was the first to present the film in its most complete form on home video, filling in gaps with 16mm footage). Criterion's current version of 'Alexander Nevsky' is miles ahead of the Image DVD (which was no improvement on their original 1990 CinemaDisc laserdisc). Not bad for an independent company.

Let's look at a bigger picture here (and this is just conjecture on my part)...I wouldn't be surprised if this title is also going to be planned for Blu-Ray release simultaneously. I for one was never thrilled with the possibilty of splitting the concert over two discs; I would prefer the concert on one, and all the supplemental material on the second. My PULSE laserdisc is still holding on very nicely, thank you.

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
I too think that the response from Brain Damage beggars belief - after all, we were told last year that the delays were "to make sure that everything was perfect", then we get a much-trumpeted press release from EMI proclaining the 2005 "final release date", now it's delayed again, with a new "final release date". Can we be certain that another delay won't happen ("to get things perfect", or "working on the technical aspects").

And I do support the request as to whether anyone on this forum can get the real low-down on this from the powers that be.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
the first letterboxed home video (Lawrence Of Arabia)
Your point is well taken (I was a huge Brazil laserdisc fan) but the first "VideoScope" letterboxed laserdisc from Criterion was not Lawrence. Lawrence came a few years into the collection. By that time, Blade Runner was a huge seller--in both CAV and CLV formats.

- Steve

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Ahh, Steve, thanks for the correction. My web resource is obviously misinformed. I think 'The Graduate' was actually the first (at 17 vs 19 for BR according to Wikipedia's listing showing spine catalog numbers). But I digress...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I think it was the Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the 1950's, but that won't get Pulse here anytime sooner. Personally, I've waited this long for 5.1 Pink Floyd, I can be patient a few months longer. Or years. It's not like they owe us anything.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks