piano finish on a sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Nov 9, 2002.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

how hard would it be to make a piano quality black gloss finish on a square mdf sub, what kind of paint and finish would i use

2. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

3. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

so pretty much the easies and cheapest way I see to do this is sand the mdf enclosure, prime with automotive primer, sand the primer, paint 3-4 layers of flat black oil based paint sanding between layers, then use about 6 layers of laquer sanding lightly between layers and then finish it by using some automotive wax

4. Zane, I used primer, black laquer, clear laquer, then polishing compounds.....lots of sanding in between the many layers.

...it is a ROYAL PITA!...

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This endeavor might be worth the time/labor/cost involved, but after my piano black finish experience, I'm done with them.

6. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

7. With all the time that a piano finish requires, I'd rather invest in some really nice looking veneer [​IMG]

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

9. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

I think i'd like finishing the enclosure with a piano finish, I enjoyed making and finishing a enclosure for my car. I'm just trying to find the quickest way to get the job done right. I'm thinking the best way would be 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of flat black, 3-5 coats of black laquer, and 3-5 coats of clear laquer. What grit sand paper should I use on the various different phases of the construction.

10. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i heard to use oil based black paint, what different form do primer and laquer come in and what would you suggest

11. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

also i am planing on brushing on all paints and laquers except for maybe the primer

12. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Been there, done the piano black. Now I use laminate [​IMG]

13. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

15. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

do they make spary on laquer in cans

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yup. But the process can get expensive in a hurry.

17. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

ya i know about spray paint getting expensive, when i was doing the 1.25ft^3 box for my infinity perfect i used stone fleck finish and it took 3 cans which cost $21, would brushing it on carefully not look good at all if i sanded well between layers, also how much does a cheap sparyer cost to buy or possibly rent

18. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

After brushing, to get level for the next coat, you would have to sand the enire panel to the level of the deepest brush groove which would mean removing about 95% of the coat. Cans of spray laquer is a doable way to go, but you would probably need 15-20 cans. Its nerve wracking- one bad swipe with the can and there is a run or sag that is a bitch to sand away. Start with automative black primer which is rich in solids to get all the pits in the MDF filled up. You will need between 3 and 6 coats of this with 400-600 grit sanding. Then onto the spray laquer and 1000 grit and beyond. Wet sanding with mineral sprits works well until all the MDF is totally sealed then can switch to water with a small amount of liquid soap. If any water gets in contact with MDF, its over.

19. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Yup - It's a lot of work. I did my center this way and you HAVE to spray it - wether it's a spray can or a HVLP sprayer.
    If you have the time and the patience it's worth it. If you get frustrated easily or try to rush it at all you'll wind up re-doing it from scratch.
    I used all water based products for mine since it's easier to clean up and safer to use, although you still have to wear a respirator.

Rob