What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I see no reason to include or create "remastered" Blu-rays since the existing discs from 2012 (which actually stem from 4K) look outstanding even for today's standards.
Isn’t Raiders generally considered to have gotten the color wrong on the Blu-ray? Isn’t that why fans have been clamoring for the 4K disc to get it right?

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Isn’t Raiders generally considered to have gotten the color wrong on the Blu-ray? Isn’t that why fans have been clamoring fir the 4K disc to get it right?

What if the UHD BD has similar color? A lot of work was done for the 2012 IMAX release, so I am not sure what is taking place for the UHD BD.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
All of this seems to be pointing to the 4K release NOT being a new transfer. They have had 4K masters from OCN of all 3 original films since the 2012 blu-ray release. The masters were completed around 2011 and then Raiders was (unfortunately) given an orange/teal color grade and audio remix for the IMAX and then blu-ray release. Doom and Crusade were not altered and are pretty faithful to their theatrical presentations, but not Raiders.

Since the press release doesn't call out any NEW work on the films aside from Atmos remixes, this could very well be those 2012 masters. It doesn't make sense for them to put out the same blu-rays if there was new restoration and color grading work done.

I really hope I am wrong, because this could be the last chance to get Raiders corrected.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Since the press release doesn't call out any NEW work on the films aside from Atmos remixes, this could very well be those 2012 masters. It doesn't make sense for them to put out the same blu-rays if there was new restoration and color grading work done.

The press release does say:

Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.

It would seem to imply there is additional visual work being done for the 4K version (that might not have been necessary for the prior blu-ray release due to limitations of the format). I'm not sure why they'd include this statement if visually it's the same as the prior release. If they were only doing new Atmos mixes, that's all they'd need to address.

They may not be rescanning all the elements again, but they could be remastering the 2012 scans to update the visuals for the 4K format.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
The press release does say:

It would seem to imply there is additional visual work being done for the 4K version (that might not have been necessary for the prior blu-ray release due to limitations of the format). I'm not sure why they'd include this statement if visually it's the same as the prior release. If they were only doing new Atmos mixes, that's all they'd need to address.

They may not be rescanning all the elements again, but they could be remastering the 2012 scans to update the visuals for the 4K format.
The 2012 press release says something similar (and, unfortunately, untrue). Complicating matters is that the original 4K restoration done by LaserPacific WAS very faithful and shots from that restoration were actually used in the trailers for the blu-ray set. That version was shown in 2011 for the 30th anniversary. But then the version that was released in 2012 had the overexposed, revised orange/teal color grade (and an additional CGI changed shot). That work was done by Technicolor.

Again, I really hope you are right and they have done some new work. The Star Wars 4K release used the old 2011 OCN scans, but did correct the color to be closer to the theatrical version.

From the 2012 blu-ray press release:
"Supervised by director Steven Spielberg and renowned sound designer Ben Burtt, Raiders of the Lost Ark has been meticulously restored with careful attention to preserving the original look, sound and feel of the iconic film. The original negative was first scanned at 4K and then examined frame-by-frame so that any damage could be repaired."

"The sound design was similarly preserved using Burtt’s original master mix, which had been archived and unused since 1981. New stereo surrounds were created using the original music tracks and original effects recorded in stereo but used previously only in mono. In addition, the sub bass was redone entirely up to modern specifications and care was taken to improve dialogue and correct small technical flaws to create the most complete and highest quality version of the sound possible while retaining the director’s vision. The result is an impeccable digital restoration that celebrates the film and its place in cinematic history."

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Below are shots from the blu-ray trailer, the original 4K restoration (which seems to have been intended for the release) and the revised color grade released on the blu-ray. View full size and note how dramatically the color has been altered in the skin tones, the statues and the ark itself. The blu-ray grade is brighter and slightly less sharp. Not sure if that is due to the color filters, more DNR or changes to contrast. Or all of the above.

Restoration.PNG

WW Ark.png

BluArk.png

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
In 1979, a crappy NTSC copy of 'Saturday Night Fever' on VHS retailed for $80.

For that same $80 (actually, WAY less than what $80 was worth in 1979), I can soon own splendid 4K Ultra HD versions of FOUR amazing films, complete with digital copy codes.

In today's dollars, that $80 VHS would retail for $289.

Just a little perspective.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

For that same $80 (actually, WAY less than what $80 was worth in 1979), I can soon own splendid 4K Ultra HD versions of FOUR amazing films, complete with digital copy codes.

Mark
That was over 40 years ago, as perspectives do change over time .:D

Dave MJ

Second Unit

In today's dollars, that $80 VHS would retail for $289.

Mark
I think you are illustrating more how much the studios thought films were worth back in those days as opposed to the actual worth or quality of the item. Once they realized home video was profitable they priced them to sell in high numbers. Laserdiscs never got as cheap as VHS for that reason. DVD and blu-ray followed the same path until they sold in higher numbers.

These may be the same 4K transfers created in 2012 with the same bonus features everyone already has. We already know the Raiders blu-ray is the same disc released in 2012. So the price does seem a bit high considering the seeming lack of effort that has been put into the release, especially for the 40th anniversary of one of Paramount's most prominent and beloved films.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

I really hope I am wrong, because this could be the last chance to get Raiders corrected.

What you're missing is that Paramount is following the same release model here they used for Mission: Impossible. The original Blu-ray releases for the first three M:I films only had lossy Dolby Digital audio, and dated video transfers for the first two movies (especially the very poor-looking M:I-2). When the series was released on UHD, Paramount freshly remastered those films. However, the included Blu-ray copies were recycled old discs with dated transfers and lossy audio. That also applied to the standalone Blu-ray set released simultaneously.

Paramount later reissued the first Mission: Impossible on Blu-ray by itself, with lossless audio and a "4K restoration" downsampled from the UHD master.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What you're missing is that Paramount is following the same release model here they used for Mission: Impossible. The original Blu-ray releases for the first three M:I films only had lossy Dolby Digital audio, and dated video transfers for the first two movies (especially the very poor-looking M:I-2). When the series was released on UHD, Paramount freshly remastered those films. However, the included Blu-ray copies were recycled old discs with dated transfers and lossy audio. That also applied to the standalone Blu-ray set released simultaneously.

Paramount later reissued the first Mission: Impossible on Blu-ray by itself, with lossless audio and a "4K restoration" downsampled from the UHD master.
Except this time Paramount isn't even including those recycled 2012 Blu-rays with this 4K/UHD release.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I think you are illustrating more how much the studios thought films were worth back in those days as opposed to the actual worth or quality of the item. Once they realized home video was profitable they priced them to sell in high numbers. Laserdiscs never got as cheap as VHS for that reason. DVD and blu-ray followed the same path until they sold in higher numbers.

These may be the same 4K transfers created in 2012 with the same bonus features everyone already has. We already know the Raiders blu-ray is the same disc released in 2012. So the price does seem a bit high considering the seeming lack of effort that has been put into the release, especially for the 40th anniversary of one of Paramount's most prominent and beloved films.

The 4K scans might be from 2012 but the press release states that they have been meticulously remastered for the 4K release. I am confident they will look and sound fabulous.

I don't give a rat's butt about the standard Blu-rays. But then, I'm not one of the people holding onto their outdated HD TV with a death grip.

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't give a rat's butt about the standard Blu-rays. But then, I'm not one of the people holding onto their outdated HD TV with a death grip.
Helluva attitude. There are some, actually a lot, of us who don’t have the $$ to buy the latest and greatest. We sometimes have to wait.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those who have moved to using 4K exclusively, this set is going to look great.

For everyone else, it is a missed opportunity to provide an upgrade from the 2012 Blu-rays. As I noted earlier, I upgraded to the 4K edition of Back to the Future without having a 4K player because they also included remastered Blu-rays. Universal putting in extra effort got them an extra sale.

This is more than likely to be the final physical media release of these movies. (Disney will be the distributor of the fifth one whenever it gets made, so it's not like there is going to be a 5-movie set down the line.) Paramount's decision not to do new Blu-ray transfers at this time probably means that the 2012 transfers are the best we are going to get in HD. Since they have done a UHD master and could make a new Blu-ray from it with relative ease, even people who have UHD should be able to understand why it is irritating to the rest of us that Paramount is not going to do that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is more than likely to be the final physical media release of these movies. (Disney will be the distributor of the fifth one whenever it gets made, so it's not like there is going to be a 5-movie set down the line.) Paramount's decision not to do new Blu-ray transfers at this time probably means that the 2012 transfers are the best we are going to get in HD. Since they have done a UHD master and could make a new Blu-ray from it with relative ease, even people who have UHD should be able to understand why it is irritating to the rest of us that Paramount is not going to do that.
It is to me which is why I've been highly critical of Paramount in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks