What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In regard to review copies:

Paramount is sending me something that arrives tomorrow.

Could be Indy. Could be the "Mommie Dearest" BD that came out last week. Could be something else entirely!

Reactions: PMF

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I broke down and got the 4K steel books this afternoon. It’s my birthday soon so I’m justifying it with that fact! 🤪 Though Temple of Doom is by far my favorite, I’m actually really looking forward to watching both Raiders and Crusade again as it’s been a while. Though this means for the first time that I actually own Crystal Skull. And it’s making me feel a little dirty...😶

1623199375214.jpeg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given the delays on top of the pricing for a set I mostly just want 3 of the 5 discs, I guess I might as well wait for the sales later in the Fall as well, maybe around BF week.

I probably would jump on the DD pricing (w/ 10% coupon) if not for the delay... but I do have plenty of backlog anyway...

_Man_

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I bought the single Raiders Blu Ray that was just released today hoping it would be mastered from the 4K source. Looks to me like it's the previous BD release. It's blown out with loss of detail from the negative. This is profoundly sad for me. Owning Raiders in overexposed HD missing detail clearly visible on the DVD. WTF? I pray the 4K release isn't an overexposed teal monster like the BD. What a home theater tragedy. Temple and Crusade are proper releases. Really makes me angry. And sad. One of the best movies ever made...overexposed and cold. Why for God's sake?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
In the early part of Raiders, when Indy and his guide/assistant are working their way to the golden idol, I recall that previous transfers were plagued with some periods of what appeared to be out of focus shots. Particularly during the tarantulas on back scene. I remember noticing that on the DVD and standard Blu-ray releases.

I did NOT notice any blurry shots while watching the 4K release. Maybe I just missed it?

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I bought the single Raiders Blu Ray that was just released today hoping it would be mastered from the 4K source. Looks to me like it's the previous BD release. It's blown out with loss of detail from the negative. This is profoundly sad for me. Owning Raiders in overexposed HD missing detail clearly visible on the DVD. WTF? I pray the 4K release isn't an overexposed teal monster like the BD. What a home theater tragedy. Temple and Crusade are proper releases. Really makes me angry. And sad. One of the best movies ever made...overexposed and cold. Why for God's sake?
It's been mentioned in the discussion here that the new blu-rays are likely just a repackage of the old discs, not upgraded blu-rays from the new 4K transfer.

This is the usual practice with most studios. There have only been a handful of 4K releases that were accompanied by an upgraded blu-ray release.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
It's been mentioned in the discussion here that the new blu-rays are likely just a repackage of the old discs, not upgraded blu-rays from the new 4K transfer.

This is the usual practice with most studios. There have only been a handful of 4K releases that were accompanied by an upgraded blu-ray release.
I had to buy it to be sure. But that's not my issue. My issue is that it's now impossible to see the movie in HD the way it was color timed when originally released in 1981, on VHS and on DVD if you only have a BD player and no 4K. And this is a crime against cinema.

Has anyone seen the 4K? Is it an overexposed teal monster like the BD of Raiders?

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I got the steelbooks today from Best Buy. I've watched Raiders and overall it is a massive improvement over the blu-ray. The orange/yellow haze is gone and the color is much closer to the theatrical as is the overall brightness and contrast, especially in Dolby Vision. Outdoor scenes look much better with blue skies, clean whites and more clarity. There is still some teal in a few scenes like the clouds over the Well of Souls and the opening of the ark, but it is toned down compared to the blu-ray.

There are some odd CGI changes to effects shots that are mostly unnoticeable in motion except for two shots which use CGI to turn on the light on the pole Indy and Marion are tied to at the end. In one shot it makes sense because the light should be on at that point and is a continuity error. The other shot is baffling because the light is supposed to be off but they changed it to be on even though it is off in the surrounding shots. So they fixed one continuity error, then created another that was never there. Very weird. Some of the ghost and flame shots at the end are still overexposed. But on the whole it is a stunning experience with lots of grain and fine detail. It should please just about everyone even with a few flaws.

Thankfully they have acknowledged that the revised blu-ray color was a mistake and taken the movie back to looking like it should. One sore point is the lack of the original sound mix. The atmos track is fine, but the original should be there too.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm happy for those of you who actually got the steelbooks today. But reading about what a mess this has turned out to be makes me wonder if Paramount would have been better off delaying the street date by a couple of weeks instead of the supply problems creating such confusion and frustration. It would have been frustrating to delay the release, but perhaps less so than what is happening now with everyone wondering if they can find it or not. I understand the replication issues aren't entirely their fault, but this is a particularly big release on which to drop the ball.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
In the early part of Raiders, when Indy and his guide/assistant are working their way to the golden idol, I recall that previous transfers were plagued with some periods of what appeared to be out of focus shots. Particularly during the tarantulas on back scene. I remember noticing that on the DVD and standard Blu-ray releases.

I did NOT notice any blurry shots while watching the 4K release. Maybe I just missed it?

Mark
That was part of the original shot, some kind of camera issue. They tweaked it on the 4K to be less noticeable.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Mark
I also noticed the blurriness was pretty much gone watching the 4K stream on iTunes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, Forgive me?

i-D7X5fKB-X3.jpg

:)

We thought of you with every amazingly delicious bite! Wish you were here too!

Mark & Cathy

Awww...yeah....forgiven. How could I not? You both look great. You got an Indiana Jones Steelbook in hand, and there is a bag of my favorite fast food.

Thanks for snapping that photo! It put a huge smile on my face and I just can't hold grudges after that. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's a weird promotion for you.

I was watching Tuesday night's (June 8) episode of Wheel of Fortune, in which they typically have a special prize on the wheel. This is usually either a trip of some sort or a large amount of cash sponsored by a frequent advertiser.

The featured prize for Tuesday's show was sponsored by Paramount and promoted the release of the Indiana Jones 4K box set. They had Jim Thorton, Wheel's announcer, say in his big booming voice, "Own the collection on 4K Ultra HD now" over a clip of Indy running from the ball in the beginning of Raiders. "And here is your prize -- $7,000." I think that the actual prize was $7,000 and they weren't giving a contestant the actual box set. But there was a special wedge on the wheel that featured a drawing of Indy as in the style of the box set cover and it said "Indiana Jones in 4K." It had a lot of screen time in the episode as the camera picked it up every time the wheel spun near it. However, none of the three contestants ever actually landed on it, so no one was able to pick it up.

This is the first time I can recall a movie studio promoting a home video release inside an episode of Wheel of Fortune. Although Wheel tapes ahead of time and isn't live, this was clearly designed with the expectation that it would air on the street date for the new set. In theory, this could be a good idea, but it would have been more effective if the discs had actually been widely available when the episode aired.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wal*Mart (for 15 bucks) had THAT and not the 4K and I didn't see an empty slot either. I assume the digital code with it would upgrade to 4k through ITunes ... AFIK Target hasn't had any of these Paramount+/CBS releases in-store.
They had the Ferris Bueller steelbook for $14.99 so they did Save Ferris ...

1623229686936.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks